The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Can i put a 4g63(DOHC) head into a 4g64(SOHC) block???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB3A63

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2003
Manila, Asia
Gurus,

can you please enlighten me on this one.... is it possible to put a 4g63DOHC head into a 4g64SOHC block, so that i can stroked it into a 2.2l?? is it worth the hasselle and cost?

any help is very much appreciated....

wow thanks for the wonderful links...

im currently reading it.....

one more question.. unfortunately the only available 4g64 block here in our country is the SOHC version.... how different is it wid d block of the DOHC version.... as far as i am reading it now, articles only shows blocks from a DOHC 4g64.....

my current engine is a 4g63 NT eci multi 6 bolt flywheel....

my project/dream is to use a 4g64SOHC block into my 4g63 DOHC head.

thank you very much for your help... very much appreciated.....

All 4G64's over here are SOHC. Using the 4G63 head will make it DOHC.

Not true. In 94 the Galant GS came with DOHC 4g64 from factory. Some of these DOHC engines even had oil squirters. I have the 94 GS and I love it.

To the OP:

To be able to install the DOHC head you'll need the 4g64 DOHC head gasket. You can use the 4g63 timing belt, but you'll have to grind down the area where the hydrolyc tensioner pushes on the arm tensioner.

You'll also need to plug these oil return holes in the SOHC block

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

People have done it by using stock 4g63 cam gears, but I suggest you buy 4g64 DOHC cam gears. They go for $25 a piece.

Yes.

But putting the 4G63 DOHC head on the 2.4L 4G64 block isn't going to change the displacement to 2.2L, it's going to be a 2.4L. Putting the 2.4L CRANK in the 4G63 makes it a 2.2, as I recall.

Some 4G63/4G64 hybrid links.

Project 4G64
4G64performance.com
4G64 FAQ

Try the 2.4L forum next time, I'm sure this question has already been asked and answered several times there.

Actually putting the 2.4 crank in the 4G63 makes it a 2.3. You also need "stroker pistons" which moves the wrist pin 6mm up. This is using the stock rod length.

I used these:

Spectre Performance Pipe Plug Kit Chrome | Product Details | Pep Boys

Just tab them with a hammer, and then use a screw driver and a hammer to put them like 2mm below deck surface. Finish with JB weld.

Threaded plugs like these are a good idea, but I would suggest tapping the drains and threading them in. Or even just threading the plugs in blind (without tapping first) if you can find a plug harder than the block. The only thing I'd suggest installing with a hammer is a freeze plug.

Also, please check thread dates before replying. I'm sure the OP found his answer in 9 years... :p

Not true. In 94 the Galant GS came with DOHC 4g64 from factory. Some of these DOHC engines even had oil squirters. I have the 94 GS and I love it.

To the OP:

To be able to install the DOHC head you'll need the 4g64 DOHC head gasket. You can use the 4g63 timing belt, but you'll have to grind down the area where the hydrolyc tensioner pushes on the arm tensioner.

People have done it by using stock 4g63 cam gears, but I suggest you buy 4g64 DOHC cam gears. They go for $25 a piece.

On the bright side at least its getting answered

On the bright side at least its getting answered

It might, but there is still some misleading information here:

To the OP:

If you source your 4g64 block from any SOHC 6-bolt Mitsu Expo, Eagle Summit, or Plymouth Vista Wagon, you will not need to plug ANY oil return galleries as there are none to block off... The SOHC & DOHC mating surfaces are the exact same (minus the OEM bore of the 4g64 = 86.5mm vs that of a stock 4g63 = 85mm). The OEM head gaskets are almost identical as well, with exception to the different valve relief area on the 4g64, for the SOHC head's valves (the 4g64 HG bores are almost 'D' shaped).
If you go this route, there is also nothing else that needs to be ground down on the tensioner side. All 6-bolt 4g63 timing belt tensioners will work, without any water pump clearance issues... Just be sure to use a 4g63 6-bolt water pump as well.
:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
It might, but there is still some misleading information here:

If you source your 4g64 block from any SOHC 6-bolt Mitsu Expo, Eagle Summit, or Plymouth Vista Wagon, you will not need to plug ANY oil return galleries as there are none to block off... The SOHC & DOHC mating surfaces are the exact same (minus the OEM bore of the 4g64 = 86.5mm vs that of a stock 4g63 = 85mm). The OEM head gaskets are almost identical as well, with exception to the different valve relief area on the 4g64, for the SOHC head's valves (the 4g64 HG bores are almost 'D' shaped).
If you go this route, there is also nothing else that needs to be ground down on the tensioner side. All 6-bolt 4g63 timing belt tensioners will work, without any water pump clearance issues... Just be sure to use a 4g63 6-bolt water pump as well.
:thumb:

I can't say that I am complaining on the answers of a nine year old post.

I am currently driving a stock Eclipse Spyder GS with the 4G64 2.4L SOHC and am looking to make the addition of a 4G63T head and swap from an Automatic transmission to a manual transmission keeping it with the 2.4L displacement. (Although in my searching I have found a fairly good amount of people with a 2.6L displacement.)

The project 4G64 link and the RRE link were the only two that I could get to open.

I'm spending a fair amount of time researching before we start tearing down the block but I promise to make a detailed post when I do. :)

I can't say that I am complaining on the answers of a nine year old post.

I am currently driving a stock Eclipse Spyder GS with the 4G64 2.4L SOHC and am looking to make the addition of a 4G63T head and swap from an Automatic transmission to a manual transmission keeping it with the 2.4L displacement. (Although in my searching I have found a fairly good amount of people with a 2.6L displacement.)

The project 4G64 link and the RRE link were the only two that I could get to open.

I'm spending a fair amount of time researching before we start tearing down the block but I promise to make a detailed post when I do. :)

Hey if you want really good info call ma performance they pretty much to
me everything and how to do it. I told them my goals and then they gave me a list of parts and how to do it. I to am currently building my spyder gs with the 64 sohc block and using the 63t head it's coming along very well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back