The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

cam position sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypanda

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 18, 2011
murphysboro, Illinois
where is the cam position sensor i think mine might be bad because my car wont idle right the motor is a 420a

I just replaced mine, symtoms are more like the car breaking up with very little throttle, its more of a timing thing. so It will effect your idle but mostly your car either wont start and if it does it runs like hell, backfiring and breaking up, sounds like a 2 step with anti lag. so if your cars not breaking up also I believe you ran into another issue. let me know more symtoms so i can narrow it down.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Huh? LOL, no.

OP, check out this thread;
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/100294-2gnt-engine-bay-tutorial.html
Look on the second post. You will see number 15 is what you are looking for BUT I don't think its what you need to fix. I suspect IAC (clogged or defective) or possibly TPS (depending on total symptoms). I presume that you still have full power etc.? Wires ok, plugs ok? Does she idle at any time (as in at start up or occasionally she'll idle fine?

MB

at 1st she will idle then it wont at all it sounds like its about to die when u take your foot off the gas

LOL its exactly what u should so whats up with the LOL huh no. thats rite from the talon 420a manual

i already looked at it. I don't own a n/a talon nor would i ever want to. I was just trying to help the guy out. In my picture it clearly stats where it is located at it.

i already looked at it. I don't own a n/a talon nor would i ever want to. I was just trying to help the guy out. In my picture it clearly stats where it is located at it.

Yeah come on Mark and OP! Its clear to see from his picture that its the stick with a red end on it touching a grean gear can't you see it. :D Haha joking aside if you can look at that picture and find your crank possition sensor you probably wouldn't have needed to ask where it is. Side note I don't think thats off a tallon 420A manual cause a 420A doesnt have 6 cylinders (pic shows 6 spark plug wires).

@ OP - can you go into more detail about the idle including rpms.

Side note I don't think thats off a tallon 420A manual cause a 420A doesnt have 6 cylinders (pic shows 6 spark plug wires).

Definitely not for 420a application.

Additionally, the 2GNT cam and crank sensors are not reluctor ring sensors - they are Hall Effect type sensors.

LOL.. that diagram looks like it's a GM system; the 3.3/3.8L or "3300/3800" specifically. HOWEVER, if it was from a Haynes manual or something like that it may have been used as a generic image just to show how the distrubuterless ignition works and components. In that regard they are mostly the same.

Back on topic, tho. Idle issues can be caused by a vacuume leak, bad IAC motor (idle/air control motor) Heck, maybe even a throttle position sensor.

Back on topic, tho. Idle issues can be caused by a vacuume leak, bad IAC motor (idle/air control motor) Heck, maybe even a throttle position sensor.

Also pull off the throttle body and give it a good cleaning with carb cleaner, that cured my dying at idle problem. While it's off you can check the IAC and throttle position sensor, as they are both connected to the throttle body.

If it were a cam position error you would get a check engine light that states cam position error.

BK85

found it and yea that was what the problem was it had a crack in it ..so i got it out and replaced it now it idles fine ..almost done with everything now just gotta fix the outside door handles then get her out and wash her ...new pix up soon =]

My Talon is actually doing the same thing its a 420A, it starts sometimes sounds fine idles a bit then dies, or starts up then dies when put into drive. I was informed the problem was the camshaft position sensor, any confirmation on this? Also thinkin about just throwin a new dayco timing belt on it as well. Any additional information on this would be wonderful.

i found it wasnt the cam position sensor the reason mine died out was bad fuel injectors

ouch well i hope thats not the case on mine LOL, but ill expect it.

yea most likely and upload some pics of your car gotta represent 420a

yea most likely and upload some pics of your car gotta represent 420a

Yeah I'm def gonna paint it first, havent gotten around to it yet, dude I got it from had some 2 tone like light pastel sky blue on the top half and bright ass yellow on the bottom, but I guess uploading a before and after pic wont hurt :D

All right after a bunch of searching and googling, kinda came across somethings with the "camshaft position sensor" I read in a few places that if the problem was a cam shaft position sensor the car wouldn't start at all, but if it was the "Crank Shaft Position Sensor" the car would experience the symptoms I described, also what could be related is the fuel pump, sometimes it doesnt want to start up the first time, but the second or third time starts right up, then about 3 minutes later bogs out and dies as well as putting it into drive.

hi i was reading the thread you guys had and the first reply is that the crank sensor was bad i also have a 420 eclipse and im not sure that its my crank sensor that went bad but it dose run like shit when it was running and now it dose not run at all and there is no spark but the symptoms were back firing lack of throttle and motor seemed to be struggling to continue to run and then turns on idles for a few seconds and the sputters off any suggestions?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back