The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 1990 Cam Angle Sensor leaking oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGST90

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2010
Houston, Texas
I recently had my cam angle sensor replaced and it was cranking but not starting and so I tried tightening the nuts that hold it and aligned the markings and it starts, so I was driving it around and I gave it some gas(hitting RPMs about 3500-4000) and it started misfiring like crazy. So I pulled over and open the hood ,looked and there was oil dripping out from behind the cam sensor. Why is it leaking oil, even though the sensor is brand new. Thanks for the help everyone

The CAS is supposed to have an o-ring on it that should keep it from leaking. If that wasn't there, it would leak. Also, if it didn't happen to seal correctly or the o-ring rolled out from its groove, it will leak. Make sure the valve cover is installed correctly as well.

+1 on that O-ring. Also if the CAS was turned a little when you tightened the bolts it would cause the Injectors and spark plugs to fire either too early or too late and cause a misfire. The CAS tells your ECU when to fire the Plugs and Injectors so essentially it directly affects your timing. You may have to slightly twist the CAS one way or the other to fine tune it to get it running right. Just be careful and don't move it too far off.

Oh ok. What would be the best way to replace the o-ring or check it and align the CAS markings with the camshaft markings AND I was reading if I replace or take the CAS out, The no 1. piston as to be TDC on C.S...do I really have to do all that?

It really isn't difficult to do.

Set the engine to TDC (if these do not help, search "TDC" with the titles only option, instead of all posts, and it will return 25+ threads dealing with setting TDC)
- Any tips or tricks on getting Cyl1 to TDC
- how to find TDC

Remove the CAS and check the o-ring. Replace as necessary; the Mitsubishi part number is MD619648, but you should be able to buy one at your local parts store making certain that your new one is the same diameter as your old one. Make sure you lube the ring with oil before installing or reinstalling.

When going to install the CAS, make sure you don't have it 180 degrees out. There are timing marks on the unit itself: the twirling piece has a single "V" shaped end, something like a Pacman mouth; the other is a dot on the body of the CAS, something like a Pacman pellet. Align it to where Pacman is going to eat the pellet and reinstall. The camshaft has a groove in it for the twirling piece to set in. Pop it in and secure it. Before torquing it down, you may need to adjust it slightly for correct ignition timing:
Engine Timing
Base Timing Adjustment

It really isn't difficult to do.

Set the engine to TDC (if these do not help, search "TDC" with the titles only option, instead of all posts, and it will return 25+ threads dealing with setting TDC)
- http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/maintenance-repairs/356484-any-tips-tricks-getting-cyl1-tdc.html
- http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/266824-how-find-tdc.html#post151244192

Remove the CAS and check the o-ring. Replace as necessary; the Mitsubishi part number is MD619648, but you should be able to buy one at your local parts store making certain that your new one is the same diameter as your old one. Make sure you lube the ring with oil before installing or reinstalling.

When going to install the CAS, make sure you don't have it 180 degrees out. There are timing marks on the unit itself: the twirling piece has a single "V" shaped end, something like a Pacman mouth; the other is a dot on the body of the CAS, something like a Pacman pellet. Align it to where Pacman is going to eat the pellet and reinstall. The camshaft has a groove in it for the twirling piece to set in. Pop it in and secure it. Before torquing it down, you may need to adjust it slightly for correct ignition timing:
Engine Timing
Base Timing Adjustment

So what if when #1 is tdc ## intake cam sits vertically so you cant line up the marks on the CAS? but my timing is dead on, on crank and cam gears.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured mine out. Even though I pulled the cams and cam gears out of a running car. Somehow switching them into a new head. I ended up 90° out on my intake cam. Even tho I never pulled cam gears off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back