The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Calan Catch Cans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So did you happen to cut off all the threads in order to weld in the fittings?

That's what I did. It left a nice step for positioning the fitting in the VC for welding.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This may sound obvious, but make sure to leave enough room on the rear one to clear the CAS. ;)

I believe Nate is running one of these on his fuel supply line to fix his pressure drop in the fuel system after the car had been shut-off.

Isn't he running E85 these days?

They are probably being overly conservative, but from the Aeromotive site:

• Suitable for use with gasoline fuels only.

Last edited:
That's what I did. It left a nice step for positioning the fitting in the VC for welding.

This may sound obvious, but make sure to leave enough room on the rear one to clear the CAS. ;)

Awesome and thanks for the pic. I plan to do it just like yours so I'm sure there will be enough room.

yeah thats how my where done i will take some pics soon

Yes please do, thanks.

just did my intake pipe today for the 12an for the catch can let me know what you guys think

out side

back side facing the turbo

front side facing the filter

Looks great on the outside, seems a bit much on the inside. Has anyone done any research to see what a good compromise would be for the inside portion of the fitting to still make good use of the low pressure area for suction but not causing unnecessary turbulence in the intake? Best I recall since it has years upon years since I have looked at the stock 1g intake pipe/hose. The OEM fittings were fairly flush on the inside of the pipe/hose were they not? Anyone done testing with different fittings in the same location and compared vac readings?

I seem to recall (can't think of his name...one of the first with the compound setup and calan can) doing some testing but my lunch break is almost over and I can't seem to locate the post at the moment. I know it's one of those minor details but for whatever reason it's the details that fascinate me the most.

Going strictly off of intuition, I'd say that you are considerably deeper into the inlet than I would want to be. It's probably a minor issue, but you are most likely causing some turbulence at the compressor wheel. Whether or not that affects airflow or adds stress to the wheel, I dunno; but it seems highly possible.

FWIW, I'm just running a simple NPT to AN adapter, threaded into a bung welded to my intake. It sticks into the opening maybe 1/8" or so.

i have not installed the intake, i was doing it as Paul volk did but i noticed his is shorter then my, i will be adjusting it before it goes in the car.

more info regarding this would be great.

^^except his is on the intake not the exhaust. I would of just welded a fitting to the pipe this way it wouldn't hang down in the pipe.

Who's got it on the exhaust?
The image is from a exhaust set up but Paul volk is on the intake.
I'm not trying to weld it on the intake as its powder coated and I would need to get coated again, I think if I make my shorter it should work.

Also from that picture Paul looks like the way you and I have our angle cut and opening is opposite from your image you posted, will that make a difrence in pressure?

We have our opening on the higher side off the top, the image you poster is on the lower side.

Last edited:
Does this scavenging idea make a big difference? I'm having my bung welded as we speak and wondering if I should have them do this instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also from that picture Paul looks like the way you and I have our angle cut and opening is opposite from your image you posted, will that make a difrence in pressure?

We have our opening on the higher side off the top, the image you poster is on the lower side.
I don't follow what you're saying here.

Does this scavenging idea make a big diffrenece? Im having my bung welded as we speak and wondering if I should have them do this instead.
Truthfully, I really don't know how much of a difference it makes. It might not even be enough of an improvement to mess with it. I don't have a great way to test both ways.

The way you did yours compared to the one picture you posted, where air goes in its cut difrent, I'm on my phone so I can't post pictures but yours is like this
- / the picture you posted its like this - \
I hope you can understand it LOL.

I think you guys may be over-thinking it a little. When you suck on a straw, does it matter how far you stick it in your mouth and if it's angled on the end, or only that it seals against your lips? (not the best analogy, but I just woke up) :D

The way Paul did his is probably optimum, but as long as you have lower pressure at the intake side than there is at the valve cover, the CC gases are going to find their way out.

It would be cool to see some test results of various configurations for that fitting though; if anyone does any testing, please post up some results. Until then, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you have a good air-tight connection going back to the can outlet.

Installed my V3 Calan Can today, looks great and everything was exactly like I ordered.

-10AN inlets / -8AN outlet and powder coated satin black.

:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back