The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Buying a used 2g stock head unit question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer890

Proven Member
Apr 26, 2014
A, AB_Canada
I'm looking to buy a stock head unit for my 1996 Mitsubishi GST. My question is do I need to know the security code for that stereo unit and if so can the dealership help me out with that? I hate the shitty single din the previous owner put in.

You very well might need the code. Not sure if the dealership would help retrieve it. When I worked at Honda, they refused to help customers obtain the codes due to potential thefts. The only thing the did offer was some 800 # for the person to call to try that way.

You will need the code for sure, I would get it from the buyer. If they don't know it, how do they know the head unit functions correctly?

My car has an original stereo unit but it never asked me for a code when I would disconnect my battery for a long period of time. I even unplugged stereo and still didn't ask for a code. I would tell the dealership your situation and see what they say before purchasing a stock unit

My car has an original stereo unit but it never asked me for a code when I would disconnect my battery for a long period of time. I even unplugged stereo and still didn't ask for a code. I would tell the dealership your situation and see what they say before purchasing a stock unit

Sorry I should have clarified. It's only the "Infinity" stereos that require the security code. Since yours isn't asking for a code I assume it's not the exact same one, I still have the little security tags with the pin numbers on them for my 97 GSX but sadly the P/O of this 96 GST put a shitty single din in place of the stock unit.

So I'm on the phone with the dealership near me, and her reply was, "No all those codes for those stereos during that time were made by the user when the vehicle was purchased new.".

That doesn't sound right, so I said, "I don't think so, I still have the factory security cards for my 1997 GSX so I don't think that's the case." to which she replied "well I know when I had my 1990 something BMW you had to make your own code, this is definitely a service question, let me put you on hold."

5 minutes later.....

"Yep so it looks like we can take the deck and reset it with a new code for 49 dollars."

......why do women with phone jobs seem to constantly need to interject their ideas/beliefs into situations when it adds no value? bi*** either you know or you don't, if you don't, then go find out, don't sit there and argue with me over something you clearly know f*** all about. /rant

So it seems for a fee the dealer can just reset the code. Thanks for the replies and sorry for the pointless post I guess LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back