Burning coilpacks - 1g DSM

Posted by zakNH, Mar 10, 2017

Please Support JNZ Tuning
  1. zakNH

zakNH Probationary Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    atkinson, New Hampshire
    Hey guys, I already looked threw other forums for a few weeks now for my problem.

No spark, I bought a new coilpack and burned up the second i cranked it over. I follwed the Engine elcetrical manual, tested my power transistor and coilpack with a meter, both confirmed to be no good.

I bought a new PT and coilpack and tested to make sure they were good. I hooked them and and got the car to start. The next day, I tried to start again, no start. Tested the PT, it was good, but the coilpack was dead.

I did check all the wires going to ECU, not sure what to do other then buy another coilpack.

2. jcastello214

jcastello214 Proven Member

Joined Jul 17, 2012
    Daly City, California
    Where did you get the PT and coil pack? If it's from the junkyard........

My DSM:
    1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   automatic
  3. C'LO

C'LO Supporting Member

Joined Sep 9, 2007
    Haverhill, Massachusetts
    I think you want to make sure all of your grounds are in good shape

4. MooglyMoog

MooglyMoog Probationary Member

Joined Mar 7, 2017
    Madison Heights, Michigan
    There is probably a short in your electrical system causing a Higher amount of current to flow through your coil pack.

You need to check your ground's as stated above but also check for shorts. This can be done with a short circuit test light. It's very easy to do.

5. Brandon Gowey

Brandon Gowey Probationary Member

Joined Nov 14, 2017
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    How do you test the coil packs and power transistor because Im not getting any spark on 2or 3 but I’m getting spark on 1and 4 and I put new coil packs and power transistor and it still won’t start

6. MooglyMoog

MooglyMoog Probationary Member

Joined Mar 7, 2017
    Madison Heights, Michigan
    you can arc the spark plugs to something in your engine bay to check for spark when you pull them with the coil pack.

7. Bo0sTeD 4G63

Bo0sTeD 4G63 Proven Member

Joined Aug 31, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Was the motor recently rebuilt? Did you swap out your cams?

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

automatic
  8. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    You cant be burning out coil packs like that unless your applying more than 12v to them, you could connect them straight to the battery and not burn them out quickly unless for some reason they are staying alive all night after the key is off.

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Drag Race Build

GT42   manual
  9. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    If you're not getting spark on one pair, it's either the coil, PT, CAS , ECU, or wiring.
    How to test the ignition system components:
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/st...ont-start-merged.437574/page-2#post-151265626

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

14.200 @ 95.000 MPH
  10. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Agree. Especially if you don't have the PT (and coils to a lesser degree) in their stock mounting brackets which provide high current grounds and heat sinking for their operation. The ground braid between the firewall and intake manifold is also needed for proper ignition but it often gets forgotten, broken, or has poor connection (dirty/corroded/not tight). And if the small filter (aka radio noise) capacitor has an intermittent short or is missing, that will seriously affect ignition.

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

14.200 @ 95.000 MPH