The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Built and boosted 2.4 Swap Avenger

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's wrong with Avengers? They're Eclipses with trunks. It's tough to like the looks of one and not the other.

glowryder - Any info on those tubular upper control arms?

In all reality an Avenger looks nothing like a TRUE DSM since the 2Gs are not. BUT in all fairness if you gotta include the 2gs then you might as well toss in the Avengers.

Its all good and I think they should be shown some love too. All in all this particular build shows that some do deserve respect, just like a choice few 420a 2gs.

In all reality an Avenger looks nothing like a TRUE DSM since the 2Gs are not. BUT in all fairness if you gotta include the 2gs then you might as well toss in the Avengers.

Its all good and I think they should be shown some love too. All in all this particular build shows that some do deserve respect, just like a choice few 420a 2gs.

my 2g says dsm right under the hood, and it was originally a 420a car. now its an edz as well and on 6psi with a 92mm turbo.

If I remember correctly an avenger also comes with a dsm logo on the passenger side of the engine bay.

edz swap eclipse with 92mm turbo at low boost (6psi) biggest eclipse turbo ever! - YouTube

my 2g says dsm right under the hood, and it was originally a 420a car. now its an edz as well and on 6psi with a 92mm turbo.

If I remember correctly an avenger also comes with a dsm logo on the passenger side of the engine bay.

edz swap eclipse with 92mm turbo at low boost (6psi) biggest eclipse turbo ever! - YouTube

Exactly the point... Neither are DSMs by the truest definitions but I rather not have this tired old discussion with someone that hasn't done the proper research. It becomes pretty clear when you dive into it.

TSI: I was about to rip in LOL.. but I can apprciate the fact that your willing to give credit when its due : ) its apprciated. Its nice when ppl can step back and recognize the work.

Cabo,. can you post the cam sheet for these"crower 272/272 stage 3 cams " as im 99.999 sure that crower, or any cam company doesnt make that cam profile for our platform, and i know your not using 46gX cams in there (its not possible).. just curious to what you actually have. The number is also etched into the cam, there the cam magnet gets installed, so you can pop it off and grab the numbers. You have a lope, so im guessing you mean Crower Stg 3? (those are no where close to 272/272 for the 4g6x in terms of cam profile.)

and what tb are you unning? a 5MM? LOL, did you mean 50mm? At any rate its a stock housing, im guessing is bored to 55 MM. a 60 Mm would do you well, as well as porting the IM to match.

Im a little surprised your running the 420a computer still. did you swap the firining order? and rotate the Cam magnet? Just wondering b.c you mention its not fast.. it should be noticibly quicker (without boost), due to the higher torque. that and im not sure how far running the 420a computers goiing to get you , as those fuel trims are for the 2.0, so its like your starvin it for fuel.

.25 is to small .35/.32 is typical for us.

whats your afr at WB?

Holy balls , i watched that vid.. IMO:

1. Your turbos to big.. no wonder your not moving, your boost barely kicks in when your in the sweet spot.. Imo, the 2.4 repsonds well to a 5857- thru 6262. so a gt35 r would been good for you, still a little laggy, but i think urs is way over kill.. whats your gaol? do you have any trans mods to support needing that power? same goes witht he 3" piping.. ## making the turbo work harder to fill all that volume.. bigger isnt always better.

2. Do you have bal shafts removed? Either way your taking that 2.4 up a lil high.. these things dont like rpms above the 7K ish range. Hopefully you dont have balance shapfs, and you have some sort of oil control in your pan and in your head (a .120- or .130 restictor).

3. I see something by the Fuse box, Why the dual oil filter?
What pan are you running?

4. Your still running EGR.. : (

5. stock valves and springs? after stg 2 cams, those really should be upgraded.. heps rduce valve float.

6. you mention port and polish, any pics? just wondering how much is polished and to what extent, Polishing (common mistake) really isnt a good thing, it doesnt creat turbulance to deliver fuel correctly, adversly effects atomization etc..

Glowryder: I meant to write 57mm tb but i missed a key. I like the egr for the mpg as this car is still a daily griver my girl uses to get to and from school. I am only running 6 psi through it and the turbo actually spools perfectly in time for the cams to start making alot of power. I guess my impression of fast is tainted because i play with so many fast cars but as a non turbo edz it was able to take on a fox body mustang but not much faster than that. Now that its running 6psi I managed to pretty badly beat a sc ford lightning yesterday from a stop. the cams are crower stage 3 with 272 (what the ad said when i bought them used) i do remember them saying crower. here is a pic of one compared to stock cam
Facebook

i used a stock oil pan cut and modded with homemade windage tray and removed balancer and re arranged the coil and injector wires also ground the pegs off the magnet and rotated it 90 degrees. dual oil filters came along because i wanted more oil capacity. I also have a condensor sized oil cooler in front of the radiator now. total of 6.5 qt oil capacity. all im gonna do from here out to that car is put 440cc injectors in it and raise the boost to 8psi. after that no more mods its fast enough for my 22 year old gf! my supra is the next toy im gonna make fast.

kool sounds good! as for the cams, if you get board, id grab the PN and cross it on crowers site. I bet they are st3's, no doubts, esp with the idle lope, but they dont have the 272 profile. If you cross the numbers etched on your cam to the site, they will have ## specs. keep up the good work.

Thanks i think i might look up the cams now because im curious.

new pix of the edz swap are uploaded now. only 2 though because this site is a pain in the azz

?? You cant do this to a 420a.. its a full swap. : )

Trans and Head are bout the only stuff you can slavage from the 420a to swap in a 2.4

Parts list:
Custom passenger side engine mount
custom made injector harness with at least 260cc injectors (if ya wanna gain power without tuning)
complete 96-02 dodge stratus 2.4 bottom end (stock internals will work unless your looking for more than 300hp)
2.4l headbolts (srt4 arp will work i believe)
2.4l timing belt for the year tensioner setup your using
2.4l top idler pulley
modified cam sensor magnet (rotate clockwise 90)
mls gasket (2.0l and 2.4l are the same)
and the hardest part is the oil pan... you can use the stock stratus pan from 96-98 stratus (one layer steel) and modify it or you can run the exhaust out the side of your front bumper LOL. Not many people know how hard this swap really is besides Glowryder and I. oh and by the way no the srt4 engine is NOT compatible so get that outta your head too.

Your stock injector harness is fine.. no need for a custom ine.
Srt head studs are what you want
All srt timing componets and oil pump is what you want. You also want a srt water pump. Yes there is a differnce between those and pt cruiser/stratus.
Swap in srt internals.. i wouldnt trust stock over 8psi..srt internals are cheap and good for an easy 400hp.
Send your oil pan to IJ once its modified for a crank scraper.. you will want one.. you also should remove bal shafts and plug th bal shaft oil imput. You may need to do a remote oil filter depending on the pan you make. You should go msns for engine management. Theres really no other reason to swap and not fully build the crap outa it.. thus the ms comment.

All srt timing componets and oil pump is what you want. You also want a srt water pump. Yes there is a differnce between those and pt cruiser/stratus.
Swap in srt internals.. i wouldnt trust stock over 8psi..srt internals are cheap and good for an easy 400hp.
Send your oil pan to IJ once its modified for a crank scraper.. you will want one.. you also should remove bal shafts and plug th bal shaft oil imput. You may need to do a remote oil filter depending on the pan you make. You should go msns for engine management. Theres really no other reason to swap and not fully build the crap outa it.. thus the ms comment.

I would have to agree allthough his is a little overbuilt and mine is a little underbuilt I am at 8psi on stock internals (stratus) and its an amazing ride!

overbuilt? Im Plan to cram 25 Psi down it..That calls for a certain level of build.. I guess im not an average DSM'r, I dont just throw ebay crap together LOL. cheers

overbuilt? Im Plan to cram 25 Psi down it..That calls for a certain level of build.. I guess im not an average DSM'r, I dont just throw ebay crap together LOL. cheers

hey hey hey be nice man I was not being mean I was feeding a compliment. believe me I would build it just like you did if I was not always so broke! I guess I use the word overbuilt to make myself feel better :( :cry:

Its all good. Our shop prides ourselves on it :) I guess we dont think there is any such thing as over built, just better insurance :) cheers

9psi tuned pretty well
graph.png

Notice the TP.. only 75% :) still needs a little work , and it pulls like a raped ape. I know, i know 9 psi, but i only have 91 octane, so untill i get 93, i wont be pushing it..

2012-07-17_19-04-06_199.jpg

wicked.jpg

wicked2.jpg

wicked3.jpg

clarkson.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i can switch some of the tables and get a snap shot , ill try to post it tonight.Eric didnt push the envelope, but they are set to a little agressive/ what has worked in the past with this cam profile.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back