The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Budget fuel system with industrial JIC fittings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbow2

Proven Member
Apr 10, 2013
Rapid City, South_Dakota
I was looking into JIC fittings as an alternative to AN for a cheaper fuel setup that wont blow up in my face and found something kinda odd with the difference between fancy PTFE fittings and the standard hydraulic fittings.

If you look at the links above, you'll see that the dimensions are the same... well, they're different, but it's only for the overall dimensions that don't matter. The only dimension they don't list is the diameter of the crimp casing. I looked up the OD for -8 100r14(PTFE) and SAE 100R1 hydraulic hose which were .63in for ptfe and .81in for the 100r14. If there is any difference, this must be it.... so i'm SOL and have to use ptfe fittings? maybe...

I was looking at this ptfe fitting and it lists a standard hydraulic Weatherhead 08E-668 as an interchangable part. That weatherhead part also says it will work with PTFE hoses with a dia of .63in but also regular hydraulic hose with a .8in OD.

Any advice here? It seems very likely they could handle the .17in difference in diameter since they're not removable and then I could use these $6.72 90deg fittings instead of the $16 summit parts. All the standard JIC fittings are about 1/3rd cheaper and i'm ok with crimping.

Last edited:
Do you have the tools to properly crimp the fittings?

No, but I was planning on taking them to a local hydraulic shop... Shouldn't be too expensive but I should probably get a quote first as that will either make or break this idea.

Seems like more of a pain in the ass. I know when I make AN hose assemblies, I like to mock them up on the car, then fab up the hose ends. Cost wise, it's probably going to balance out by the time you make a trip to the hose shop and get them to crimp your hoses. Maybe not, though, if you're making a lot of hoses.

The other thing to consider, is most of the adapter fittings made for the DSM stuff is AN. For example, the fuel rail adapter, OFH adapter, and most of the other port fittings use port to AN adapters. Not sure what you're making hoses for, but just something to keep in mind.

I called the local places places and its $5 to do a hose so its kinda border line on the pricing side. Problem is they need to know how far to crimp and would probably be guessing with these fittings.

Edit: also jic 37deg fittings are the same as an fittings.

Last edited:
Plan is to use the cheaper fittings (Kurt brand) and some kurt sae 100r7 hose which has a nylon core. Crimping won't be an issue with this standard stuff and nylon is e85 safe. The hose is only $3/ft instead of the $5/ft for PTFE so I'll probably save quite a bit overall for a full fuel setup while still being an compatible

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back