The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

budget 99 Gsx build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well it's been slowly coming along. interior and wiring is 99% done. Engine should be in this weekend and i can finish the plumbing

2012-03-08013830.jpg

2012-03-16012713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All that weight reduction in the engine bay will let that gsx fly! Invisible engine! Haha :p Looks great so far.

Took the front and rear roll stops out. Also the intermediate shaft. Lifted the transmission up and forward as much as possible (about 30°) and propped it up with a 2x4. Engine went it like usual. There was maybe 1/2" clearance between the block and frame rail.

Shame shame on whoever rigged up the j-pipe. It's in front of the intake.
48986cf0-ac41-2d40.jpg

While cutting off the flange I took some shrapnel to the face. Always wear safety glasses :)
48986cf0-acab-9e77.jpg

But in the end it's worth it
48986cf0-ace5-2cdc.jpg

Last edited:
Flat black primer :thumb: although ill be repainting it to semi gloss later on. There's dust trapped between the layers and I dropped a socket on it and chipped some paint off :(

I wish I'd seen this sooner to mention this before you put the tranny back in: if you really dragged the car with the rear wheels on the ground (as in the third pic on the first page) and didn't drop the driveshaft, you'll need a new center VC.

I did drop the driveshaft :)

Small update after literally not touching it for 2 months.
Poured the concrete in the shop monday, so now I have a clean place to paint it. Did emissions and tag today. Since I've started driving it after the wait, I've been hearing a tapping/knocking. It hasn't gotten louder after 20 miles, so I'm guessing it's a lifter. It just doesn't sound like rod knock.

Also installed an evo3 manifold and ditched the 14b. Evo3 16g now.

Update on the ticking problem. I took the oil pan off just to make sure it's not the bearings, and everything checks out fine.

2 and 3
IMG_20120804_175602.jpg

1 and 4
IMG_20120804_184522.jpg

So far it's hit 20-25 psi a couple times now, with the stock tune. I blame it on the crap mbc. Wideband reads 10.5 AFR.

I'm very impressed with the 2.3 and 16g. According to logs it hits 20psi at 4k with 53% throttle in 3rd, and that's with stock 2" cat.

Last edited by a moderator:
The past few months have been eventful.

The hood flew up destroying itself and the windshield, and the power steering rack sprung a leak at one of the fittings.
dVzwP.jpg

oi6w1.jpg

One of the bolts in the transmission backed out and rattled around inside. It also broke a shift fork, and I didn't know that until I took it apart 300 miles later.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There's still an occasional light ticking, but it runs great. Currently running 20psi at 11afr

Finished up the adapter harness for the evo8 ecu. 2 wires gets swapped for fuel pump, 2 get moved for the fans, and a couple removed for some misc stuff. If I had to do it again, I'd just swap the pins on the stock harness. It would be much faster and easier.
YxoxR.jpg

Last edited:
What sort of benefits will you get with the ECU swap? Nice build btw.

Last edited:
Having been doing the same slowly, as funds are available. I have until march for the DSMlink meet at Summit point to get it ready. LOL'd at the original pictures as those are the same rims im trying to unload now to get something auto-x worthy. Are you going to change the driver seat? five point harness, roll bar?

My carbon hood flew up and it cracked a inner rib of the hood itself, kind of cracked the hood end corners and damaged my roof. it didnt affect the glass which was weird.
I ended up repairing it with fiberglass and im about to paint it black, good as new but no more carbon fiber look.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back