The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G BS Plug popped out on 15psi BoostLeakTest

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not sure what you're referring to. Bad valve stem seals will cause the car to smoke pretty severely at idle. So methinks your balance shaft plug popping out was just a coincidence

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And after going through all of these tests and checking everything multiple times, it’s hard not to think it was coincidence. It doesn’t blow smoke unless I drive the car a while without boosting it and then punch it. A little puff of black smoke and that’s it. Most likely it has to do with still being a little rich on my tune (working that out tomorrow with Tedtech), but this is the whole reason I wanted to post this situation.... it’s most likely a perfect storm situation. But it did help me learn some stuff, so I’m all for that.

Very curious about your crankcase ventilation setup as well. Please post a picture. Of catchcan/modified setup or factory setup.

Here are the pics of the engine bay. Let me know if you need to see something more specific.

Attachments

• EEB6E813-462F-4FE1-9D52-FB17767059C9.jpeg
    EEB6E813-462F-4FE1-9D52-FB17767059C9.jpeg
    522 KB · Views: 43
  • 8974FC4B-E13E-499A-8EAA-0BBB100BE337.jpeg
    8974FC4B-E13E-499A-8EAA-0BBB100BE337.jpeg
    564.7 KB · Views: 43
I forgot to mention the VC goes to the “IN” of the catchcan and the Intake comes from the “OUT”. Pretty sure that’s correct. I also switched out the PCV to a know good one from my original motor that didn’t have this ventilation problem

Black smoke is fuel

Blue smoke is oil

White smoke is coolant

The #1 cause of a knocking dsm motor is drowning the Pistons in fuel and soaking the crank and bearings in fuel, by throwing huge injectors in a stock car

Couldn’t agree with you more. That’s why I went with Evo560’s and a 16G with ecmlink. I like street manners with a little kick. No white smoke and no blue smoke. The tune is still a bit rich, but we’re getting there. Thanks for jumping in here, I really appreciate it!!

You need a check valve in between your factory PCV and your intake manifold.

Otherwise, it looks good and i am sure it functions well. Once you do that above, your next boost leak test should be promising.

No matter what the pcv leaks from the factory. So, just make that side directional flow.

Also, what did you use inside the catchan as filler?

You need a check valve in between your factory PCV and your intake manifold.

Otherwise, it looks good and i am sure it functions well. Once you do that above, your next boost leak test should be promising.

No matter what the pcv leaks from the factory. So, just make that side directional flow.

Also, what did you use inside the catchan as filler?

Ok, have any suggestions where to get one? I would assume HomeDepot because it will need to have barbs on both ends... most automotive applications would have threaded on one end, right?

As for the catchcan filler, I bought some steel wool pads (skinny round style) from the dollar store and put one in there on its side. This way it would trap the oil coming directly in the “IN” port and still utilize the dipstick it came with. I couldn’t mount it any lower to use the filter on top, but I figured that would just let Oil vapor out anyway.

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16861

The steel wool pad you got, was it just metal material? I ended up using stainless steel one i found from the dollar store as well. And a strainer for the bottom, so the oil can pool without sitting on my SS filler I have in there.

That dipstick will check the fluid level inside the entire catchcan.

You want a sealed can anyway. I am running two sealed cans on a daily driven setup. Still using a PCV AND a check valve inline after the can TO the intake manifold.

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16861

The steel wool pad you got, was it just metal material? I ended up using stainless steel one i found from the dollar store as well. And a strainer for the bottom, so the oil can pool without sitting on my SS filler I have in there.

That dipstick will check the fluid level inside the entire catchcan.

You want a sealed can anyway. I am running two sealed cans on a daily driven setup. Still using a PCV AND a check valve inline after the can TO the intake manifold.

Yes, I made sure it didn’t have anything else (soap-wise) in it. I’ll be sure to get that check valve ordered and see how it goes. I’ve been trying to think of something I could put in the bottom so the oil doesn’t sit in the wool, good idea! Doing more tuning tonight, so I hope the motor doesn’t give me any more issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back