The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

broken studs and rethreading

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJBoostedDSM

Proven Member
Aug 2, 2013
clark, New_Jersey
I need someone to help me out please! i have a couple broken studs in my engine i need to take out, if someone can swing by and help me with it thatd be great! :thumb:

Also, a screw stripped one of the holes on my turbo so i need someone who can rethread or bore the hole so i can mount back up to the manifold! :ohdamn::pray:

I would just put a bolt through it and put a heavy duty locking washer on it. The kind that are impossible to compress with hand pressure and a nut over that. Been 8 months and I'm not sure if it'd come off. Lol

Like what kind of crucial place? If it's the exhaust manifold it shouldn't be that difficult to fix.

How did the studs break off, did they break while removing them, or were they overtightened? Is it because of rust?

You might have to have a machine shop do it. It shouldn't take a professional much time and they usually just charge around $60/hour (Around my area at least. You could call around and ask what their rates are.)

It's more common than not to pull the threads out in turbine housings due to the extreme heat. Pepboys sells taps in the right size. Just go slow and use good cutting oil. If you don't have any, I suppose some motor oil would work. For steel, I'd usually do a 1/2 turn and back off 1/4 turn.

It's more common than not to pull the threads out in turbine housings due to the extreme heat. Pepboys sells taps in the right size. Just go slow and use good cutting oil. If you don't have any, I suppose some motor oil would work. For steel, I'd usually do a 1/2 turn and back off 1/4 turn.

okay cool thanks, so it is pretty easy to do it myself?

If you can turn a wrench, I don't see why not. Going slow is key and if anywhere you have to use more force than usual, back off and try it again. You have a couple of fallback options if you do mess it up somehow. You can go with a bigger bolt but that requires drilling out the hole in the manifold as well. You can use a slightly smaller bolt like someone mentioned above and use a nut and washer to fasten it.

So are the threads gone or just a little messed up. If they are gone than a tap isn't going do do you any good. You will either need to step up the size, which will also require increasing the size of the hole in the manifold, or install a thread insert.

Its not that bad just gotta get in there and try it, its common to break in those things, all of my heads have had broken studs, pita to remove but, its a good learning for more broken bolts as you will have them on any engine or car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back