The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bring my 95 gsx back to life!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xTugglex

Probationary Member
Sep 13, 2012
Scottsbluff, Nebraska
Hello all, this is my first journal about how I have a nightmare of a rebuild going for me. I am in the possession of a 95 GSX. I bought a couple weeks back from a man in the area with the intentions of rebuilding the car stock abilities. He had gotten the engine half way torn down before his job had gotten in the way. So he sold his car to me. What I had not realized is the guy knew less about what he was doing than I thought. So I acquire the car with the manifold and head taken off cords all over the place, unmarked. From there I realized I am in for quite a struggle. My intentions for the car is just to bring it back to it stock performance levels. So I'm am starting with a complete engine rebuild considering that it is already half way apart. I am in an engine rebuild class where I will be rebuilding the engine for the entire year. My teacher is completely terrified of my car considering that he is an "All American Enthusiast" which I have no problem with but, knowing that he is scared of it makes me even more weary of the rebuild. I'd really hate to have to give up on one of my dream cars. But to get back to the plan, I am going to rebuild the engine back to stock performance or simple upgrades, put on a stock size turbo or a little bigger. and get the car just simply running, as soon as that is accomplished bigger and better things will be done to the car. The Car all around has 65,000 miles on it. So it's really not too worn. I will upload pictures and things that I have already gotten around to as soon as I can get back up to the car at the collage. Any support and or info is very appreciated as I am a young enthusiast of DSM cars and I would be so very happy to see this thing run by the end of the year, Thanks for reading, Updates coming soon! :thumb:

As a fellow dsm enthusiast wish you the best with the build and hope that it comes out the way you want it to come out. one sugjestion i would give you is to swap in a 6bolt engine since the 7bolts are known for crank walk issues, not sure how far along you are with the build i would love to see some pics and how would you go about things. :thumb:

First off, you need to find out why he was tearing the car down. Then go from there. It could of been nothing, and you said yourself he didn't know what he was doing. The crankwalk issue that was brought up in the above post is not that common, so don't let that scare you. I've personally had 2 95 turbo dsms with well over 120 thousand miles, and no sign of crankwalk. Figure out what mods the car already has, and sit down with a pen and paper, and figure out what you need to bring the car back to stock. Sale off the performance parts, and there's your funding for your stock parts.

As a fellow dsm enthusiast wish you the best with the build and hope that it comes out the way you want it to come out. one sugjestion i would give you is to swap in a 6bolt engine since the 7bolts are known for crank walk issues, not sure how far along you are with the build i would love to see some pics and how would you go about things. :thumb:

Just stop... Do some reading, the actual number of cases of confirmed Crankwalk are very small. Stop just throwing that word out there like its candy. People just throw it out there because they're clueless and have no diagnostic abilities. In the years I've been a part of this board and the hundreds of threads started about "crankwalk" I think ONE was actually confirmed thrust bearing failure. Truth is, ANY car can walk..

OP: like Chad said, find out what the problem really was. Hell you might not need to rebuild at all.. And the fact that your teacher is afraid of the motor since it isnt a V8 kind of scares me.. Kind of says he has no idea what hes doing. Its all relatively the same. Every engine has specs that need to be followed.. Whats the big deal?? If he says he can build say "high horsepower v8s all day long" but cant even just assemble a 4cyl correctly, Id be a little weary..

Good luck man, cant wait to see some pics!

ya definitely wouldn't want your teacher any where near your engine. Just do some research and maybe even go to a scraper find an engine and practice pulling it apart. So if you mess up you know where you went wrong with no consequences, that what I did.

Crankwalk schmankwalk, the kids building it back to stock and running condition. Don't talk if you dont know what your talking about, what's the stock block 7-bolt record again? Like 10.50's or less and over 500hp?

First of i didnt mean any thing bad about the crank walk and what the issue is with that, the only reason i metioned it was due to the fact that i had that problem. What ever the case might be with crank walk just thought id wish some one luck on their build, post some pics and i hope you get it to where you want it. best of luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back