The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

brand new unsprung xtd clutch and tob pics and other related ?'s

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macspsi

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2011
Cumberland, Virginia
Although I have done pretty good research on this clutch; I just wanted clarification and reassurance on a few things about this clutch.

first and foremost the throwout bearing, on one review I've heard that the throwout bearing is good to use. based on the pictures provided would you run it or would just take the recommended method of buying an oem?

I bought the unsprung clutch because I've heard that they hold up better on the strip and heavy usage, the car would probably be driven around country roads and some city around 3 or 4 times a week maybe less and then on the strip on the weekends, there will be at least 4 trips to the track with this car this summer. Based upon my research it should it hold my power/torque (td05 20g power level estimated around 350-450 depending on other upgrades this year) driving style, do you guys agree? again just wanting reassurance.

I have also bought the competition forged clutch fork, as I would like to redo nearly every component in the clutch and hydraulics and various shifter components so I will not have to worry about those issues further down the line. Also on the list would be, steel braided line (full), new master cylinder (slave should be fine), replace gear with oil mt90 I believe, act streetlight flywheel (looking for one new or used), shifter bushings (shifter and in the engine bay/trans) is there any other parts that you guys would recommend as well? Sorry for the long post I just wanted to make sure I covered every area of my concern and hopefully help others.

Here's the pictures,

Tob:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Disc:

Pressure plate:

Last edited:
The clutch is pretty good. Holds great, a small amount of chatter, I daily drove mine in Houston, got about 1500 miles and a bunch of hole shots while setting up a new tune. Then on the last hole shot, shut the tuning computer down, pulled out in traffic, and went for second, and nothing. Come to find out, I ripped the center hub out of the disk. Personally, if you're going to daily this clutch, I would opt for the sprung disk. I have a picture on here somewhere.

i've used the xtd tob, it seems fine. I wouldnt use the solid disc on a street car however. its hard on the trans, and the splines wear.

I put about 10000mi on one in my awd and about 50 low 11's and a few 10's passes. The splines were just about to strip when I pulled the trans. After about 5000mi the hub was loose. I ended up drilling some new holes in the hub and re-riveting it with some hardware store rivets. I held up fine for the rest of its life.

I've also run the XTD sprung disc through equal punishment. Splines are perfect.

My info about solid disc clutches goes for any brand.

I want to try one again. I've been on ACT's for a while now. The xtd and sprung 6 puck was fine trapping 130 on street tires if I didn't do a burnout. The solid six puck has a better material on the pucks and it seems to get better with heat. I bet the solid disc XTD would be good for 140 traps.

Hi Macspi.
I've been using a XTD clutch stage 4 (with the 2300 pressure plate, and unsprung disc) for a while with the XTD tob. In april 10th will be 3 years, that resumes to (rounding) 8+ hours of roadracing, 900+ days of street driving, and 90+ launches at the drag strip.
Also this translates (sadly) to 2 kits of drive shaft joints. 2 changes of gearbox input cluster bearings. And this month the gearbox was damaged and we need to change 1st, and 2nd gears and all the cluster bearings, included a refresh of all synchros. The clutch disc was worn too, and have missing rivets. So we rebuild the gearbox and replaced the xtd disc with an ACT 6 puck sprung.
The XTD tob and pressure plate are still running good.
I hope this info is useful for you.

Last edited:
I would use one again, sprung, except I'm going automatic now. The south bend clutch I had in it started slipping pretty bad when I really started getting into boost and the higher gears around 6000-7500 rpm. The xtd price can't be beat for their kit. The 2300 pp held great with the 6 puck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back