The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Brake pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamahaulin

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 30, 2010
Bowling Green, Kentucky
I have the evo 8 brembo brakes and I'm in need a a good brake pad. I currently run the ferado 2500 and they have awesome bite and stopping ability. I need something that makes less noise as these are horrible on light braking applications. I even use the girodisc shims to help with noise. If you get them really really hot they don't squeal on light braking but that gets old. They sound like a school bus coming to a stop when light braking.

try the Girodisc magic pads. They are supposed to be similar to the OE Brembo pads that came on the EVO for a fraction of the price.

I have the Girodisc Magic pads in my Brembo conversion - they squeal regularly, throw plenty of dust, and don't stop very well. I have Carbotech AX6 front and Bobcat rear in my 3kVR4/Evo setup on my autocross car - they do dust (possibly more than the Girodisc pads), but they don't squeal and they stop really, really well. I will be swapping to this setup when I get bored of waiting for the Girodisc pads to wear out.
The modulation of the Carbotechs is light years better than Ferodo 2500s, whose initial bite is far too aggressive unless you're running race tyres. The 2500s are tolerable if they're on something as heavy as an Evo X, but it takes the X's clever electronics to keep them under control - on something as light and electronically crude as a DSM you can't push your braking with 2500s because you can't modulate them effectively or quickly. IMO anyway.

We tried R4S pads in an Evo, back around 2005-ish when the Active VIII came out - for some reason they squealed like crazy. We tried every standard cure, but nothing worked. At that point I had been running R4S in my DSM for years, in both stock brakes and the AEM BBK and they had never squealed at all. Porterfield may have fixed it by now, but I haven't heard of anyone trying them in recent years, because of the squealing problem.

Try racing brakes, they do alot of good pads and have amazing amounts of knowledge.

I have been looking at the ax6 as well. Where is a good place to purchase from.

I get mine directly from Carbotech these days as I need them pre-bedded, I used to get them from Supercar Engineering (http://supercar-engineering.com), when the car was streetable and I could bed them in myself.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back