The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Brake Booster Delete w/ Tilton Master Cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2003
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I was just wondering what the brake pedal would feel like if you deleted the stock brake booster and OEM master cylinder and replaced it with a Wilwood, Tilton, Brembo master cylinder?
I have seen a few brake booster delete kits for the Evo and I just saw a new kit coming out for the DSM that will delete the booster and let you use an aftermarket master. Are there any possible benefits?

Im curious, what is the purpose of this? Is it to save weight? Or is it something different?

More reliable vacuum with cammed engines, you will have to buy a fairly expensive vacuum pump thats electric/belt driven. This is purely a racecar thing, not DOT approved by far.

You have absolutely no braking power if you just ditch your master, kill your car going downhill and waste the saved vacuum in the system, and see for yourself =)

I have a feeling the car won't feel like it would if you turned off your car and put all your weight on the brake pedal as described above since it has a Wilwood or Tilton master cylinder.

I think keeping your brake booster and going to a larger bore master would be a better choice. Esp if you have upgraded brembos or wilwoods etc.

It says the cylinder inside is bigger, your still using the same leverage from the pedal so how does this even come close to the same stopping power with vacuum assist?

No personal experience with them, but I would imagine it would feel just like an older car that doesnt have power brakes. I've been planning on doing this when I redo the engine, and I see no reason that it would be any different than a car that didnt come from the factory with power brakes.

I have drove a old datsun drag car with a LS1 in it that had just the wilwood master and no booster. I loved it, thousands times better in the actually brake feel. It is a little harder, but you are in control and not relying on the vacuum.

The pedal is much stiffer and does not have the mushy feel that a vacuum brake system does. I was looking into doing a wilwood setup on my DSM, but ran low on funding. But I will rock one when I get caught up on everything.

I talked with a Tilton expert today. He said the brake pedal would feel different if you removed the brake booster and stock MC and replaced it with a Tilton unit, it will still be a stiff pedal. The pedal won't feel like you plugged the vacuum line to the brake booster, because doing that would cause a stiff pedal with the stock master cylinder, not the case with the Tilton since it is made to no use a brake booster. The Tilton won't be as stiff and be more drivable. He told me it should be a track only mod, but it could be driven on the street fine but panic stops would be an issue. Sizing the right master cylinder to you car would be another issue, but Tilton has a document on their website that you enter all your cars info and they will recommend a master cylinder size for you.

Last edited:
I could see this working out well. You just need a master that is large enough to reliably stop the car at higher speeds without vacuum assist.

My 77 celica, my dads 60s model chevy pickup, mom's mustang (was orginally base model) all dont have vacuum assisted brakes and though it takes some getting used to after beeing in my talon/eclipse or any number of saturns I have owned it definently works just as well if not better than a vacuum boosted brake system.

just wondering if anyone has done this yet? I wanna get rid of my stock master cylinder in favor of something with a built-in reservoir for a cleaner look. I wouldn't mind keeping my brake booster.

My only downside to using Chase's plate and their new master set up is that its a one outlet master. This means if you break or puncture a line you loose all your brakes. Ryan Basseri had an article in Honda-Tuning about this a few months back, and said it should only be used on a track car and that normally when this is ran (on hondas) that its only applying pressure to 2 brakes, not all 4.

In the next week or so, I should have a nice little addition to this thread that might be a great alternative and still keep a booster.

swade

My only downside to using Chase's plate and their new master set up is that its a one outlet master. This means if you break or puncture a line you loose all your brakes. Ryan Basseri had an article in Honda-Tuning about this a few months back, and said it should only be used on a track car and that normally when this is ran (on hondas) that its only applying pressure to 2 brakes, not all 4.

In the next week or so, I should have a nice little addition to this thread that might be a great alternative and still keep a booster.

swade

Any addition? I'm curious to know what alternative you speak of.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back