1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G BOV "situation"

Posted by KoalaFD, Aug 12, 2018 at 5:03 PM

Please Support STM Tuned
  1. KoalaFD

KoalaFD Probationary Member

Joined Sunday
    Long Beach, California
    So... I'm new, hello.
    We got a '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX a couple of days ago as a trade for some work done. It was previously neglected and wasn't started for about 10 years. But it started up pretty good after the fuel pump was changed. We're gonna hopefully restore it back to some semblence of glory.

Anyways, just wanted to post this picture. Not really looking for solutions (I think I know what to do) and not claiming to be an expert on DSMs but I think something(s) is/are not right here... If this is an established and proper way to do things, though, please let me know.

GSX BOV situation.jpg

2. 2gmitsueclipse

2gmitsueclipse DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Auburn Hills, Michigan
    The BOV should not be mount VTA (vent to atmosphere) without some method of tuning. In stock form, the ECU factors in the air that is released back into the intake when the BOV opens. Pictured below is the correct routing of the 2g BOV. I may suggest, if you are looking for an upgrade, go with the metal Evo BOV as it would be a direct replacement for your current setup. You are currently missing a hose that connects the black plastic BOV to the inlet pipe for the turbo. The silver HKS item is not needed.

20180812_180904.jpg

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Autocross Build

T25   manual
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

16g   manual
    1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo

Autocross Build

14b   manual
    PlanZero likes this.
  3. m_0ney_pit

m_0ney_pit Supporting Member

Joined Jan 12, 2007
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    Lol is that a wastegate in the intake recirc hole?

My DSM:
    1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

20g   automatic

Street Build

16g   manual
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

14b   manual
  4. KoalaFD

Joined Sunday
    Long Beach, California
    Heheh, great, thank you. That's pretty much what I was planning to do - get it back to recirculate. Also, I'm pretty sure the stock 2g BOV is mounted backwards - like the BOV outlet is plugged in.

The picture was mostly for chuckles. Because I chuckled and shook my head a little bit when I saw the real life situation.

5. KoalaFD

Joined Sunday
    Long Beach, California
    No... it's an HKS BOV. That's venting the... intake... pre-turbo side to atmosphere.

6. PlanZero

PlanZero Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2013
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    HKS my ass LOL. Alibaba.

My DSM:
    1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST (sold)

Street Build

T25   automatic
    1996 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build

16g   automatic
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   automatic
  7. KoalaFD

Joined Sunday
    Long Beach, California
    A good point. Now that you mention it, it’s very “plasticky” for an true HKS product. As in, it’s mostly made of plastic.

8. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    That now tops my list as the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Previously the dumbest was a "boost source" tapped into the intake pipe pre turbo by cutting a slit and sticking a vac hose in it. Owner wondered why his boost controller didn't work.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual