The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G BOV dump tube cut size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bam22056

Probationary Member
Aug 15, 2014
Newton, New_Hampshire
i have seen a bunch of threads on the subject of bov dump tubes in a 2g, and have people say you should leave an inch of the tube sticking into the intake, and others say to cut it flush. does this make a difference, and is there a reason to not do one of those options?

If you look at the stock intake pipe where the BOV recirculates, its just a nozzle sticking off the side and the tube goes over it. I would just pipe it up flush, or put a nozzle on the new pipe to clamp it onto.

One of the many "free mods" back when i first started was cutting the tube flush to the intake "wall". That, as well as removing the silencer was my first mod on my 1g...second mod was a new head gasket...LOL

If you cut it flush it's possible some of the metered air that has already been calculated by the ecu for fuel could be blown out the filter via the BOV which would cause it to run rich for a second. I've done it on a stock car and had no problems even with a cone filter and air box delete.
If your worried about it doing that then just leave an inch or so on it. When the BOV vents to the intake snorkel it will be getting directed back to the turbo. Potential problem solved and the majority of the restriction (the BOV tube in the intake) will mostly be gone.
With the cone filter on and bov tube cut it makes it a bit louder when it vents.
Hack away.

If you cut it flush it's possible some of the metered air that has already been calculated by the ecu for fuel could be blown out the filter via the BOV which would cause it to run rich for a second. I've done it on a stock car and had no problems even with a cone filter and air box delete.
If your worried about it doing that then just leave an inch or so on it. When the BOV vents to the intake snorkel it will be getting directed back to the turbo. Potential problem solved and the majority of the restriction (the BOV tube in the intake) will mostly be gone.
With the cone filter on and bov tube cut it makes it a bit louder when it vents.
Hack away.

Its been a really long time since Ive seen the inside of the stock intake pipe, but is the BOV vent nozzle piped up at an angle? I think that would really be the only way to ensure the metered air enters the turbo.

If I remember correctly the dump tube went almost all the way down to the turbo inlet and had a slot cut in it. One of the first things I did was cut it out so no pics because it's long gone. It filled up about half of the stock snorkel. So yeah it went in at an angle and goes down the snorkel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back