The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Boost leak testing issues...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasaniFab

Proven Member
Dec 1, 2013
Mexico, Connecticut
So I turned up the boost, and blew off a vacuum line. When I got back I did a boost leak test and I'm noticing a gurgling sound over 20psi when I pressure the intercooler track through the turbo. I can hear it in the oil pan..... I verified my headgasket it good and my compression is exact on all 4. Is the boost leaking through the turbo feed or oil line?

Forgot to mention, verified the headgasket was good via cumbustion gas tester, check compression were exactly even on all 4. Seems like it's leaking from the turbo.....not that much pressure is coming out of the valve cover.....

So I turned up the boost, and blew off a vacuum line. When I got back I did a boost leak test and I'm noticing a gurgling sound over 20psi when I pressure the intercooler track through the turbo. I can hear it in the oil pan..... I verified my headgasket it good and my compression is exact on all 4. Is the boost leaking through the turbo feed or oil line?

I have had this issue before too....as I understand it from others on here, b/c there is no oil pressure and the turbo is not spinning (they do spin a bit even at idle) air gets past the seals in the compressor and escapes down the oil drain into the oil pan. This is second hand info so I dunno. Makes sense tho...i think. hahaha

It's has to be, my motor is running perfect, doesn't even smoke one bit, compression is exact on each cylinder.... I verified the headgasket with a combustion gas tester. If my headgasket is solid, my valve seals are new, motor is new with even compression :confused: I was reading it could be the cam overlap as I'm running stage 2 cams? I can't verify that though

It's has to be, my motor is running perfect, doesn't even smoke one bit, compression is exact on each cylinder.... I verified the headgasket with a combustion gas tester. If my headgasket is solid, my valve seals are new, motor is new with even compression :confused: I was reading it could be the cam overlap as I'm running stage 2 cams? I can't verify that though

If it was the cams overlap causing it then the air could only leak into the cylinder and then out the exhaust I believe. In which case it would't even hold pressure. Maybe try and rotate the crank while the BLT is pressured up and see if that changes the sound at all?

If it was the cams overlap causing it then the air could only leak into the cylinder and then out the exhaust I believe. In which case it would't even hold pressure. Maybe try and rotate the crank while the BLT is pressured up and see if that changes the sound at all?
I think it's ok, I'm gunna leave it be. I've read that the best way to test if this type of thing happens is to test from the intercooler , taking the turbo out of the equation. While the turbo is being pressurized with oil I doubt air can leak through esp when everything is hot. The turbo has up and down and in and out play, a slight amount engineered in for ballbearing turbos. I can imagine that those clearances are not very good at holding back air pressure in a static situation.

Don't worry about it, mine does the same thing and I am testing at 40 psi. If the car is doing fine, put it out of your mind and keep up the good work!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back