The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Body kit repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle McL

Proven Member
Jun 28, 2014
Rierside, Pennsylvania
So in the progress of repairing the car. I never had a lowered car or a car that has a front bumper that will scrape. The previous owner put a body kit on it. I wanted to repair if it I can. Worst case scenario I would be putting a eclipse bumper, if this fails. So my questions is, is their a good way to repair a cracked front bumper? Is their also a way to fix spidering cracks on the rear bumper? I am debating on if i want to repaint it, if I cant manage to replicate the custom paint. I can post photos if needed

More info is needed. What kind of material is the body kit made of?

And where and how badly damaged is it. Maybe cheaper / time wise to just replace it. New stock bumpers are I think $75 and (been a while since I've looked) but most aftermarket numbers can be had for $150. Just do a quick google search for pricing.

For some reason, you bringing attention that you've never had a lowered car before and being concerned on fixing the damage that is already on it, gives me a different perspective. Should you get used to driving it that low before repairing the damage and hitting something similar to the previous owner? Maybe raise the car if it's on coilovers and practice driving at a comfortable ride height. Otherwise, you'll go through repairing the body kit, and end up damaging it again. Just a suggestion.

If the bumper is fiberglass, then some resin and fiberglass mat (or fabric) will work just fine. If it's that yellow flexible plastic then might as well replace it since there is no really good way to fix it. How can you tell what it's made of? Look at the cracks and if it has fibers sticking out of it then it is 'glass. If the material looks uniform and has no fibers, then it is plain plastic.

I have received a decent amount of compliments on people saying they actually like the bumper. I am on the fence. So one of my friends knows how to work with fiberglass a lot better then me. I am going to try to repair it, worst case scenario. I will just switch it to a stock eclipse bumper. In the end, I feel like it is something that would be neat to at least learn whether I fail or succeed.

If it feels like plastic then there are easy ways to do that, if it's fiberglass then it will break easy, but doing the right quality work on wont be an issue, just take some resin, and fiberglass cotton filements and cover it over your broken or cracked area, but you have to clean the area around it so that the resin and stuff will stick right on to the surface, the resin will dry very quickly so that process will go by quick. To fix the spider-cracks on the bumper is simple just take a DA sander and sand around the area with some 240 grit paper, then 320, 400, And 500 grit to get a smooth surface then you paint it with primer surfacer, then sand it again this time with 320 grit, then 400, and 500 grit, then you go straight to sealer, base coat clear coat then your solid. And One more thing if your bumber fits well on the car, then no problem if it doesn't then you got to make it fit before doing anything. I hope this is helpful for you.

Kit can also cause rust to your body panel, unless you can remove and clean them every now and then. If I were you just remove them it will look cleaner and safer.

juuuust buy stock bumpers, body kits won't let you lower the car. because its big so if you lower it, itll probably scrape LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back