The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Blown Intake Manifold Gasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booosting92tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 1, 2004
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hey guys, After pressurizing my system , and the intake system not holding anything (ZERO PSI). I found an intake/boost leak behind the Intake Manifold. It's not the vaccum lines back there, they were rerouted to the top of my engine. There's air gushing outta there big time, i can feel it with my hands in there, but i can't visually see it. It's so bad, that the system won't hold any pressure at all.

What could it be? The IM Gasket? Head Gasket? any plugs in the IM that might've flown out?

If it is the IM Gasket, how hard is it to remove the IM? Any faqs on it or procedures?

IM isn't hard to unbolt, it's just the bottom bolts that are a pain to get out.

there isn't much at all to an intake manifold, TB, intake manifold, a couple pressure sources.. anddddddd, that's it ;) take a closer look at the source before replacing the IM gasket, as it will be a chore to do.

p.s., search for i believe DSMJim's FAQ on installing a magnus SMIM, there are pictures for the uninstall.

blcknspo0ln said:
IM isn't hard to unbolt, it's just the bottom bolts that are a pain to get out.

there isn't much at all to an intake manifold, TB, intake manifold, a couple pressure sources.. anddddddd, that's it ;) take a closer look at the source before replacing the IM gasket, as it will be a chore to do.

p.s., search for i believe DSMJim's FAQ on installing a magnus SMIM, there are pictures for the uninstall.

what's the url?

If your arm is too big to get to the bottom bolts from the passinger side after you remove the TB, unbolt the downpipe and get to them from under, this is how I got to mine. Good luck.

When I changed mine, i took the two bolts off of the alternator and pushed it out of the way, didn't even disconnect it. it made a world of change and only takes a few minutes to bolt back up. Definately check everything first before replacing the manifold gasket, its a lot of work to find out that wasn't the problem. hope this helps!

Well, before taking the IM out, I decided to take the IM Bracket out and also the AC Compressor with the pulley out, I have no need for AC anyways. Now I can get around the IM better.

I got under the car and looked at the IM and it looks like that there might be a crack in the IM gasket, I'm wondering if I tighten those IM bolts on the bottom, if it will seal the air gushing outta there, It might be possible that some of those bolts might be loose.

One more question, the bracket on the block that held the AC Compressor, can i take that outta there now since i don't need the AC anymore, or must i leave that there for support? How about the IM bracket?

Tightening the bolts to fix the problem could also make it worse by cracking it even more.

Yes, you have to leave the bracket for the AC in there, your axle bolts to it. Mine is removed and replaced with washers, works well. Makes working back there really easy.

TSIsean said:
Tightening the bolts to fix the problem could also make it worse by cracking it even more.

Yes, you have to leave the bracket for the AC in there, your axle bolts to it. Mine is removed and replaced with washers, works well. Makes working back there really easy.

well i'm gonna try to tighten them anyway, the way it is now it has to be removed anyways. Doesn't hurt to try to tighten and see what happens.

As far as the AC Compresssor bracket, i took mine out, i have a 92 tsi FWD, only the AWD'S U NEED TO WOrry about the spacer.

As far as the IM bracket, can i leave it outta there? or do i really need it for support?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back