The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Blown Head Gasket??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dante8910

Probationary Member
May 21, 2010
Circleville, Ohio
I got the turbo installed onto my 96 eagle talon tsi... but where my exhaust manifold connects to the exhaust housing on the turbo theres a metal gasket in between them and right there ive seen oil bubbling. Im thinking its a blown head gasket but then its started also where the wastgate connects to the manifold to.

I havent ran the car at all, i just put the turbo on and was letting it run for maybe not even a 3 mins before ive noticed it and i havent done anything else to it.

If anyone could help id really appreciate it ill put up pics later as to show exactly where it is. Thanks again

Attachments

• 0602001938.jpg
    0602001938.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 290
  • 0602001942.jpg
    0602001942.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 0603002043.jpg
    0603002043.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 0603002052.jpg
    0603002052.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Why would it be a blown headgasket if it is leaking oil from the exhaust manifold-turbo gasket. I would check for where the oil leak starts. Could be valve seals in the head causing oil to run into the cylinder or even rings going bad causing blowby. Either way, a headgasket is probably the least likely cause. Pull the exhaust manifold and check the ports inside the head and manifold for oil.

Im not for sure as to why it would be a blown head gasket. Im just asking because ive had a couple ppl tell me that it could be that. This is my first time owning a turbo car. Im just trying to figure things out on this car.

First off put the 4th bolt in there to hold the turbo. Then degrease the whole front of the engine and start the car and see where it originates from. Your bubbling is from a missing bolt. Doesn't mean that is where the oil is coming from.

How about re-tapping to get a bolt to thread into the hole near where his waste-gate is...save for on a 1G? ;P

I noticed that one doesn't go all the way through.

Are you talking about that liquid in the sparkplug hole? That doesnt look too milky...but it doesnt look too dark either. Anyones guess.

As for the oil leak, all around my exhaust manifold where it meets the head (yes, there is a gasket in there) looks as if its spitting out a little oil, just enough to look messy around the manifold. Would that be typical of an old exhaust mani gasket, or is this a similar problem to Dante's?

You don't have a lot of reason for it to be a head gasket other than someone mentioned it to you. There's not a lot adding up here that it's the head gasket as the #1 cause. Why are you still going down that path right now? Prob just going to go replace the head gasket to find out that you needed a different one.

Check compression, get the bolt fixed, etc.

Theres only Oil and Coolant mixed together in that one section in the picture above. Like ive said this is my first time owning a turbo car.

The oil is bubbling where the gasket is between the exhaust housing and the manifold.

I took the Head cover off and saw there was oil and coolant mixed together. Im not for sure if it is the head gasket or not. but just encase it is at least ill have it. Im just trying to figure it out that way i can get it back up and running.

Before you do ANYTHING. Do a compression test. If the test results is a cylinder being under rated or not holding any PSI. Using an air compressor. Fill the cylinder with a small amount of air and listen to where the the air is leaking out.

If you hear the air from the oil passages on the head (With the valve cover removed.) you have either a bad gasket (oil passage leaking into the cylinder) or bad rings (Blow by). It is sometimes hard to tell if the oil rings are bad with just a compression test.

If not maybe the valves.

... If there is oil mixed with coolant.. that is usually a tell-tale sign of ... DUN DUN DUN... Headgasket.

Pull the dipstick, look for coolant. If the oil looks like baby food, again... head-gasket.

Do the simple things first. It doesn't take a genius or $100 in testing equipment to determine if you have a bad head-gasket. IF there is coolant in your oil, then by all means start tearing shit apart.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back