Blinker stay on even with the key off.

Posted by djmidnite, Jul 17, 2009
Bolt-on Tech - 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

1. djmidnite

djmidnite Proven Member

High Hill, Missouri
    The car is a 96 spyder and I took the car in to get tuned and the left blinker stays lit continuously even with the key off. Did they short something out?
  2. Hubbard 0

Hubbard 0 Proven Member

Algonquin, Illinois
    I had a similar issue last night, but mine was always flashing left when I had the key in the on position. Turns out the little nub inside the control stalk broke and stuck in the left position.

Try popping your stalk open and see if everything is together. It's a pretty simple part so you shouldn't have to worry about breaking anything.
  3. quayzar590awd

quayzar590awd Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    salisbury, Maryland
    It may also be a bad multi switch controller. The micro switch's do like to go bad first generally. Is it only the blinker thats on the fritz?
  4. djmidnite

djmidnite Proven Member

High Hill, Missouri
    Yes, the left blinker stays on even with the key off. It doesn't even blink just stay on. I had run across some posts in the past that mentioned something about a short causing a problem similar to this but I can't refind the posts. Where would I find the multi switch?
  5. lazyazzdaddy

lazyazzdaddy Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Hagaman, New_York
    sounds to me like you have a stuck relay causing it to stay on. i would check that before ripping anything apart. if it's staying on with the key in the off position look into the flasher relay. the flashers obviously have power with out the ignition in the on position. so i would start there.
  6. Jeff99GS

Jeff99GS Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The Blinkers are on Ignition power supply so they should NOT stay on when the key is off. I bet it has something to do with the 4-way flashers which CAN operate with the key off. There is also a relay I believe behind the radio that controls the turn signals. I would be suspicious of these units.

When my turn signal stalk broke The flasher still went off with the key.

Oh by the way. To fix that turn signal stalk you take a small drill bit and make a tiny hole where the broke off piece was. Then cut a small bit of straight wire coat hanger. Now jam the little piece of coat hanger in the hole. BOOM, you have a new flicker titty for the switch!

Attached Files:

7. Hubbard 0

Hubbard 0 Proven Member

Algonquin, Illinois
    Jeff99GS, that's an awesome fix. That was the little nub I broke. I got lucky though and the piece was still in the assembly so I super glued it back in there.
  8. djmidnite

djmidnite Proven Member

High Hill, Missouri
    Wouldn't both side blinker lights come on if it was the hazard flasher relay? I'm not going to rule it out though. May just try to swap a flasher relay out and see what happens.
  9. lazyazzdaddy

lazyazzdaddy Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Hagaman, New_York
    Are you saying only one bulb is lit? if so i must have read it wrong i thought you were saying the left front and rear. if it is only one bulb i would check the wiring there has to be a short somewhere
  10. djmidnite

djmidnite Proven Member

High Hill, Missouri
    No the left side - front, rear, and some add on lights in the side view mirror. They didn't mess up until it went in for a tune.