The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Blew a tire, crazy day

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy0912

Proven Member
Jun 8, 2017
Jacksonville, North_Carolina
So on my way to work yesterday, I noticed my tire was running "low". I check it (quickly) and figured I would fill it up on my lunch break just to get me home since I was running late. On lunch I went to go fill it up, and took my buddy with me because he hadn't seen the car and was excited. Needless to say, we got about 50 feet from my parking spot and the car was jumping and I heard my tire flapping. We pulled back into my parking spot next to my buddies old reliable Honda and went to pull the tire off to put my spare on, but I forgot my tool for my lug nuts at home. So my buddy offered to drive me home to get it!... he needed a jump haha. Anyways, we went home and got the tool and took off the tire. It was absolutely shredded and I'll post pictures below. I mounted my spare and went to go check the air in the rest of my tires at the gas station down the road and the donut popped off of the bead about the same spot I realized the first tire was shredded. I don't have the cash for a whole new set (I knew I was due for a set anyways) so I needed a way to get the car home at least. Well my buddy has an Evo 8 taken apart in his garage and happened to have some 18x10 rotas with 255 nitto 555's laying around that he let me borrow to get home. I didn't want to keep them on because then I'd have to pay for my new set, plus run the risk of damaging his expensive wheels and tires haha. Anyways, I did some searching on the forum to see if they would fit, and couldn't find a clear answer so I thought I'd share my experience and some pictures that I took. end of the story, I put the back two tires on and drove it home, and she sits on the donut and original tires until next week when I get a new set.

Attachments

• IMG_3517.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG
    525.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3518.JPG
    IMG_3518.JPG
    534.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3519.JPG
    IMG_3519.JPG
    509.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3520.JPG
    IMG_3520.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3521.JPG
    IMG_3521.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3522.JPG
    IMG_3522.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3512.JPG
    IMG_3512.JPG
    529.4 KB · Views: 62
Just a heads up, your viscous couplers will not be happy with different diameter tires on the car. You should drive as little as possible until we get 4 matched tires again.

Oh I didn't know that, the diameters were only barely off, I'll post the picture and a link to the calculator I used. I only used his two back wheels to drive it home and now it's just sitting on the original back tire and the donut until next week when I can get a new set. Thanks for the heads up though guys!

https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Attachments

• IMG_3528.PNG
    IMG_3528.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 41
Barely off can still have consequences... My car had 225/55/16's and I ended up putting on a 215/55/16 and it made the ride sound so horrible even doing 20-30 mph. Be very careful with it, diffs are not cheap in any sort of way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back