The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Big wing change

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasosEclipse

Proven Member
Oct 20, 2016
Thiva, Europe
I have a Eclipse with the small wing and I want to change to the big wing is it very difficult can someone send photo of the holes. Does anyone know a good way to close the holes on the rear fender?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I did this swap years ago on my last GSX, it was the 95 and I wanted the 97-99 spoiler. You will have to locate and drill holes for the 4 10mm bolts to hold the wing on, and come up with a way to deal with the holes from each end of the toe nail spoiler on each quarter panal, I believe its five holes on each quarter.

-A good way to locate the position for the holes is to get 4 6x1.0 grub screws and grind the heads to a sharp point, spin each one into the 4 holes the same amount by hand. Carefully position the spoiler where you want it and press down firmly on each end to leave a small dimples where the holes should be. Helps to have a friend around for that. Then just drill where the dimples are from the outside in, with the smallest bit you can use and still have the bolts pass through. Then you have to go to the inside and drill a larger hole through the structural part so the heads of the bolts will sit flat (Like OE would) you will see what I mean when you look in there. I have a small 1'' carbide hole saw I use for stuff like this but they are expensive.

-To deal with the 10 holes in the quarter panels, at first I just left the plastic screw receptacles in place, found a proper button head screw with a nice cover, put the screws in with the covers on and rocked it like that for about a year. I eventually welded up the holes and skimmed the area on each side when I was prepping the whole car for paint which then made the swap official and legit. However, the plastic sockets with the right screws and covers actually wasn't the worse thing ever.

Last edited:
Also I was worried the plastic plugs might leak the way I had them before I welded the holes up but they dont. Just be sure not to mount the spoiler too far back, Ive seen it mounted in the wrong spot and it looks dumb. Take a good look at some of the cars that came with it before you mount it. To seal the 10mm bolts that mount the new spoiler, you can make a body gasket out of butyl (old school window sealer) You really need to make sure you dont create a leak when doing this swap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back