The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Best way to replace clutch and flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Bell

Proven Member
Aug 15, 2014
Levant, Maine
First of all I'm posting in 2g cause no one in 420a will repsond. Okay so I need to replace my clutch and flywheel in my 1999 eclipse GS 420a. Both the clutch and flywheel are aftermarket, Southbend stage 2 endurance clutch kit. I installed it a while ago but the clutch pressure plate I think warped on me cause it shudders and jerks really bad, untill today when it starting sqealling and virbrating really bad. So I think I'll just buy the same clutch which comes with a new flywheel and TOB.

My question is though what is the best way to install a clutch? I know how to actually install the clutch and flywheel itself but I want to know whether it is easier to pull the entire motor and tranny together out, or just drop the tranny. I feel as though I should just pull the entire engine with tranny out cause I will have more room to install the new flywheel. But I want to hear other people's thoughts on this. Some advice would also be nice for anyone who has installed an aftermarket clutch on their 420a.

Thanks
Brad

Having recently removed the engine and transmission out of my 2G, it really wasn't that bad to do.... Maybe 3 hours worth of work, including labeling everything to make installation easier. However, there are quite a few vacuum lines and connectors, and if I were you and there wasn't another reason to pull the engine (Timing belt, engine rebuild, etc), I would probably recommend removing the front axles by pulling the spindles back, clearing the way on the transmission side, and just dropping it out the bottom. It just seems like less of a headache to me!

I agree with ENTROPY I had to do trans work on my 420a and we dropped the trans.. Clearing the axles and making room was Heck of a lot easier to do than to take an entire engine.. But I did take out a 4G63 and not a 420a But the compartment room is different in the 420a.. Easier to maneuver.. Plus my friend had a Trans Jack.. Easy Peesy..

I myself would pull entire motor, like you stated more room, less knuckle busting is always a plus, it involves a little more (electrical, axels, shift linkage, etc...) you would also have the chance of fixing and replacing other things with ease...timing belt, balancer belt, water pump, pulleys (if that needs done) might as well pull it and go to town IMO. in the process you may find things you didnt know needed replacing (motor mounts, elec plugs, axels, ball joint control arms etc..) cherry picker out the top, i've never literally dropped a motor out the bottom so cant comment on that but sounds like the car would be nose wwwaaayyyyy the f**k up in the air...then you start getting into unsafe and unpredictable...again this is all IMO. Good luck!!

I just recently had my 420 and auto trans out, but all my past DSMs were manual and it is FAR easier to just pull the engine out with the transmission. I've done clutch and flywheel replacements with the engine in and out of the car, and you'll just save yourself some headaches by removing it all. The last time I did a clutch swap with the engine still in, the transmission slide off the jack and slammed two of my fingers between it and the engine. It wouldn't have been a big deal, but after one of my fingers was still hurting a week later, I had to have an x-ray done and the impact basically chipped the bone a little. Plus it's safer with everything removed and you'll get everything lined up better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back