The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Best Oil Filter? Cheap Fuel Filter...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesterbot

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2003
Houston, Texas
Hey guys,

I have stock everything right now.

I'm going to change my oil soon, and was curious as to the best (for the money) oil filter. I've heard to stay away from FRAM. Is normal oil fine for now? I would rather not switch to synthetic unless absolutely necessary.

Also, I need a cheap but effective fuel filter (catch can application) and where to find it. Thanks!

Purolator is decent but here's the problem if you get a crappy one your engine will tick. I just stick with straight factory mitsubishi oil filter it cost about 8 bucks but its well worth and it makes your car run good. You don't need synthetic but since its a turbo car synthetic will help with the life of the turbo and engine. I got my 95 tsi with 46000 on it and it was only run with regular oil, but i switched over once i got it and have done it ever since. Sure it costs much more but that is also an investment that will pay off in the future....:thumb:

Just use the stock oil filter. I dont see any reason not to, they are only 5$ from the dealers here...

As for a fuel filter just use any old inline v8 fuel filter. They will most likely be frams just hanging there cause they can be used as a general application. Make sure the check valve works and your fine, just get some line to match the size of the inlet/outlet

The mitsubishi oil filter is really nice. Get one of them and some regular mobile or valvoline oil and it is only 15 dollars for an oil change.

Stay away from fram filters because they are cheap glued together carboard inside.

Get the LARGE mitsubishi oil filter. For some reason 95+ cars get the small one. Normal oil is fine (although I use Mobil 1 Synthetic). The fuel filter on a 2g is a b!tch to change. I'm not sure what you mean about the catch can fuel filter. Do you mean the filter for the oil that drains into your air intake?

Well typically instead of getting a catch can they jus tput a fuel filter inline of a hose running out of the valve cover.... simple as that, or you could just point yours at the ground like me =)

Originally posted by cucumber
Why stay away from FRAM?

Normal Oil is fine, you need to stick to what has been run in your car since day one.

Are you sure you should be giving advice in these forums? Your quote is so far from the truth it is laughable!!!

Where does the BIG one come from? (I know Mitsu but I mean what car, a 1G?) Any idea what the part # would be?

Maybe it's just me but the 2g filter on my 98 gst is one of the easiest to change on any car I've owned.

Originally posted by spyderlover97
Get the LARGE mitsubishi oil filter. For some reason 95+ cars get the small one. Normal oil is fine (although I use Mobil 1 Synthetic). The fuel filter on a 2g is a b!tch to change. I'm not sure what you mean about the catch can fuel filter. Do you mean the filter for the oil that drains into your air intake?

Originally posted by steelgrave
Where does the BIG one come from? (I know Mitsu but I mean what car, a 1G?)
Yes, they're talking about a 1G filter. No, I don't know the part number, but if you just show up at the parts dept., I'm sure the sales drone can help you out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back