best methanol injection kit

Posted by dan2288, Jun 28, 2007
Newbie Forum - Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

1. dan2288

dan2288 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Shillington, Pennsylvania
    Whats the best methanol injection kit out there for our cars ? I'll be running a fp3065 turbo and I really want to push a lot of boost thru it on pump gas.
  2. bling5tatus

bling5tatus Proven Member

DFW/Austin, Texas
    Check out Devil's Own... he's a sponsoring vendor here and has some pretty nice kits. I'm not saying he's the best but he is on this forum and is probably willing to work with you.
  3. 300hpGS-T

300hpGS-T Proven Member

venice, Florida
    if you want THE BEST. you want the aquamist, its VERY in depth, and the pump is the best out there... but its also over 1000 dollars. now for 400-500 bucks you can get a kit from www.alkycontrol.com his shop is right near me, and i would say it is the best out of any companys using the sureflow pump. it has a progressive controller, meaning it comes on at whatever boost setting you choose, then as boost rises, voltage to the pump also rises, causing more methanol to spray at higher boost, so you wont get a sudden dumping of methanol. it also has a pressure sensor built into the pump that will turn an led mounted in the car green when there is line pressure, and will turn red if there isnt. i have been using this kit, and its very good.
  4. Savage Talon

Savage Talon Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    North Bay, California
    I am looking at a coolingmist system, they have a all in one trunk mount system that is nice.
  5. spyderturbo007

spyderturbo007 DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
    That's the kit I installed in the Spyder a couple weeks ago. Nice kit, but don't bother upgrading to an angled nozzle. It doesn't look anything like the one on their website. The thing is freakin' huge. I didn't even bother to install it, since it looked like it was going to eat up about 1/2 the area in my UICP. Waste of $14. :toobad:
  6. DSM4me44

DSM4me44 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Stow, Ohio
    I'm very happy with my Devil's Own kit. I really like the boost pressure switch that came with it. It has psi numbers labeled right on it so you don't have to guess.
  7. 96gstdsm

96gstdsm Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    monroe, New_York
    I have a question about the methanol injection kits.
    How often do you have to refill it? For a daily driver do you need to continuously fill it? I mean I know it has to be refilled but how frequently for daily driving? It comes on at a certain psi level right? So if you drive it normally for the most part but really get on it a few times a day when driving is it going to use up all the methanol really quickly?
  8. Nors

Nors Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Delaware County, Pennsylvania

Correct if you stay out of boost, you save meth. I have heard 1 gallon lasts about 1 tank of gas. But it really all depends on so many factors.
  9. DSM4me44

DSM4me44 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Stow, Ohio
    If you get one with a 150 psi pump, it will go a lot quicker, but staying below the boost level you set it at is the key.
  10. 420a-t

420a-t Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    I like the devils own kit becuase it comes with good customer service. Chance at devils own always answered my questions I had, and helped with parts for my install. The kis is perfect for a 2g (btw i purchased the base kit) I mounted my pump on the opposite side of my windshield washer reservoir in my trunk. The line supplied is just long enough to reach the uicp if ran on the passenger side. You can't beat the price for what you get either.
  11. 300hpGS-T

300hpGS-T Proven Member

venice, Florida
    5 gallons of meth has lasted me 2 months before.
  12. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Newmarket, ON_Canada
    As for how long it lasts, there are to many factors to determin how long it lasts. Nozzle size & how you drive has a big impact on the amount of meth you'll use. I too have the Devilsown kit. While I haven't got the install completed yet, so far the kits looks great & I know of alot of locals that are running it with great success (group buy on a local board). Like was mentioned above the pressure switch is marked for pressure setting, which is nice but the even nicer part is that when I tested my switch out against a certified pressure standard the markings on the switch were the same as the test gauge. The only thing I think would be a nice upgrade that they don't currently offer would be braided SS lines, for long term durability.
  13. dsm-onster

dsm-onster DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Bloxom, Virginia
    The best one from my experience (turbo ford, GN, and now my dsm) is on weyouput together yourself. Run a solenoid valve and fuel injection hose.

There are probably cheaper deals out there. Heres what a quick googal has provided:

ShurFlo Pump (adjustable peak flow pressure via allen screw)

Hobbs switch (controls activation via boost: Its adjustable!!!!!!!)

McMaster and Carr nozzles, Catalog page 1898 - 1901
    www.mcmaster.com
    #'s GPH@40psi GPH@100psi
    3178K81 0.63 1.0
    3178K82 1.26 2.0
    3178K83 1.90 3.0
    3178K84 2.53 4.0
    3178K85 3.16 5.0
    3178K86 6.32 10.0
    3178K87 9.49 15.0
    (nickle plated nozzles are best)

A few screwclamps and possibly a tank if you don't tap your existing windshield wiper reservoir

The key is activation point and choosing the proper nozzle flow. Activate the hobbs switch at a boost level that will allow the pump to flow enough injection yet will not bog the engine. This takes time to get down.

This homebrew system has gone thru 3 cars and 10-35 psi of boost for 6 years. Water injection, water/alky mix, pure meth injection.

$160 total including shipping. Add the cost of hose, clamps and fittings. You're still probably under $180. And the setup works for years. . .

For the longest time I didn't even run a solenoid valve, I just ran a check valve. It did good. But got clogged over time running meth (ate away at the rubber hose). A good fuel filter (that can handle the psi) just before the check valve really helped this. So you can subtract the cost of a $35 solenoid. the check valve I got was around 10 bones.

It allowd me to run 22 psi w/ stock 450s on a small 16G and stock intercooker(not a typo), stock fuel pump stock everything!!!) and I ran good and lean w/ lots of power on a hacked maf. . .
  14. 1gDSM4g63

1gDSM4g63 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    San Jose, California
    How much more boost can the engine take with methanol injector kit? Or it better to go full race fuel when I want to take it to the limited?
  15. dsm-onster

dsm-onster DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Bloxom, Virginia
    Wondering about how much boost any setup can handle is far too subjective to the setup involved. In fact, I've seen identical setups tolerate different boost levels whe running identical water injection amounts. boost means nothing without knowing temp and elevation. Ask yourself what lbs/min you want to run to reach your goal. Then you can estimate how much water your need to be injected for achieving your flow level. USUALLY if you inject the neccesry water flow, you can run on pump gas what you would *normally* gat away with race gas.
  16. 1gDSM4g63

1gDSM4g63 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    San Jose, California
    I want to get anywhere from 26-28 psi. on Holset HX-40, but with my high compression pistons that is in no way possible. So instead of change the piston I have to decide whether I want meth kit or race gas. Since you say the with a meth kit with the right ratio it could be equivalent to race gas now my question is which is better.
  17. redliner_x

redliner_x Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Waverly, Tennessee
    It says this is made for 100% meth so there is no mixing with water? If this is a dumb question then I apologize. I am just learning about meth injection.