The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

best for the buck injectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geno414

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
So i have no idea what kind of injectors to get i have 550cc now and i need bigger ones i need 660cc injectors and i need them to hook up to my stock set up as in fuel rail and so on... i have a eagle talon tsi 2g its a 1995 :D and have no idea what kind i should get i wanted to get RC injectors but there so much and they said there the best ? thought all injectors were the same .??:ohdamn:

can some one help me find cheap but good 660cc injectors for my buck ? thanks.

There is no reason to pay anywhere near $269 for a set of 650's. If you are only upgrading from 550's to 650's (which will gain you practically nothing), just buy a cheap used set for $70-$80.

OP - I don't understand your mod list at all. You have a built stroker, FMIC, 3" exhaust, AFPR, etc etc...but no good tuning solution and are wanting to upgrade to 660cc injectors?

Which turbo are you running?

i have to have 660cc that's the biggest my safc will support and i don't want to get anything smaller. thanks for the info ill read it now .

Im using a small 16g turbo and my tune is a safc2 that can support 660cc and a wide band and just the normal gauges like oil and so on..

There is no reason to pay anywhere near $269 for a set of 650's. If you are only upgrading from 550's to 650's (which will gain you practically nothing), just buy a cheap used set for $70-$80.

OP - I don't understand your mod list at all. You have a built stroker, FMIC, 3" exhaust, AFPR, etc etc...but no good tuning solution and are wanting to upgrade to 660cc injectors?

Which turbo are you running?
im not upgrading to 650cc ha i need 660cc i was thinking the same thing

i have to have 660cc that's the biggest my safc will support and i don't want to get anything smaller. thanks for the info ill read it now .

I've never dealt with a SAFC, but I'm pretty sure i've seen one support 830cc before. I don't see the point of having a SAFC if they can only support 660cc injectors.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to sit down and map out just what you want to do with the car. It's not much more money to get injectors bigger than 660cc such as 1050 or 1200. If you intend to build beyond what 660s will support then you will end up buying another set of injectors later and essentially throwing away money.

I would seriously consider moving to ecmlink or similar, as that would remove the safc injector size restriction and they are a far superior means of tuning a car. It's more money now, but it sets you up really nicely for the future as you can just get large injectors once and be set for the foreseeable future.

I need bigger injectors because i have a 2.3 stoker and my little 550cc won't hold up to it at least that's what i thought i don't know to much about fuel i'm going to make a new form about a safc and see how big of injectors it can support because it dose not say with my directions and for "ecm link" or whatever it is what would i all need is there just a kit i can but that will come with EVERY thing i need ? i know not having that big maf would be nice. :D

I need bigger injectors because i have a 2.3 stoker and my little 550cc won't hold up to it at least that's what i thought i don't know to much about fuel i'm going to make a new form about a safc and see how big of injectors it can support because it dose not say with my directions and for "ecm link" or whatever it is what would i all need is there just a kit i can but that will come with EVERY thing i need ? i know not having that big maf would be nice. :D

First of all, to answer the SAFC question...

Most all of the piggy-back devices (anything that intercepts the airflow signal going to the ECU such as the SAFC and MAF-T) can safely handle up to 650-680cc injectors, give or take a few cc's. The reason for this limitation is that these devices lie to the ECU about the amount of air entering the engine, causing it to inject more or less fuel based on how much air the ECU thinks is coming in. This would be ok as far as just the fuel goes...but the ECU also uses airflow information to change timing. More air than reported + right amount of fuel + wrong amount of timing = bad day.

As for you needing bigger injectors...

Your small 16g probably tops out at around 34-35 lbs/min of airflow under good conditions, unless you are a really good tuner with the right tools to tune with...in which case you may get up to 37-38 lbs/min out of it (which is rare). 550s running at an IDC of about 80% at an AFR of 11:1 and stock pressure should support about 31lbs/min of airflow...660s would up that to about 37 lbs/min, but that is more airflow than you will most likely get out of your setup. That nets you a gain of about 4 lbs/min, or maybe 30whp...assuming you are already maxing out your 550's. FWIW, running your 550's at an IDC of 90% would support about 35 lbs/min. In other words, with only the SAFC/timing limitation to work with, you're likely to max out your turbo before you max out your current injectors...or at least be really close to it.

Moral of the story: you don't need bigger injectors unless you know you need bigger injectors. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Moral of the story: you don't need bigger injectors unless you know you need bigger injectors. ;)

I agree. With no way to see how your injectors are performing, there is no basis for larger injectors.

A 2.3 stroker won't need that much more fuel. What will need more fuel is more boost. I say skip the 650's and put it towards DSMLink. Then, when you max out your 550's, get some FIC 1050's so that you won't be limited. But that's just my .02

i kinda like stock boost i mean that's alot really you might not think so but to me it is !!! i only want 17psi not much more then stock and my 550cc are kinda bad any ways they are used and some local guy ripped me off so i need bigger ones now what does that .3 do to the eclipse really ?? all i notice is faster spool and i shift faster.

I am running 550's on a 14b with 71% IDC. I would recomend get ecmlink youll get more horsepower out of tuning with your setup then just wasting getting 660's to run on your safc setup. Then when you get some more money do it once the first time just get some big injectors for like $400 like somf FIC 1000cc injectors, then you will be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
2.3 the .3 i have a stoker:aha: .3 i don't know ? because i can feel im getting fuel cut?? and fuel lag when i make boost at all ? that's why i think they are bad am i wrong ?

If your only going to run 17psi, you don't need more than 550s. I was running 16 on stock fuel system with a tuned EPROM chip, I don't know what my idc was, but it ran LOL. Like I said I don't think you will have a problem with 17psi on 550s.

Ok, after reading all that has been posted, I'm gonna throw in my .02c. I have a 1g 2.0 with a 20g. I'm running 20 PSI on 550's with an IDC of 86% at 11:1 AFR. Most tuners consider anything of more then 80% IDC "red zone" on DSM's.

There actually is a formula for finding out injector size requirements.

Max HP X BSFC/(# of cylinders X .8)=injector size in lb/hr

To convert lb/hr to cc/min:
Cc/min=lb/hrX10.515

HP is your expected whp. BSFC is the fuel efficiency of the engine. BSFC ranges from .4 to .7 depending on the type of engine. Turbocharged engines are towards the top of that range, because they are usually tuned a little richer for cooling. Usually between .55 and .65 BSFC. Where 91 octane is the highest pump gas available, you would want to calculate at a higher BSFC (to combat knock). With my setup, I calculate to pick up an additional 50 whp (to put me at 300 whp) I would need minimum 650's.

In short, use this formula, get a device for logging to find out duty cycle (idc), and then decide if you really need larger injectors.

Personally, I would ditch that SAFC, in favor of DSMlink, ECMlink, or Megasquirt.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Seems like a lot of money spent on really nice motor to be putting it on the line with an afc, I would personally ditch it for ECMlink and tune from there and do plenty of logs, afterwards order some 950-1000 and never buy injectors again, unless u go e85.

Seems like a lot of money spent on really nice motor to be putting it on the line with an afc, I would personally ditch it for ECMlink and tune from there and do plenty of logs, afterwards order some 950-1000 and never buy injectors again, unless u go e85.

One downside to ordering injectors that big: tuning for a decent idle is going to be REALLY difficult. You can do it, but its not easy. Especially if he must pass a smog test. It will run WAY rich at idle.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

2.3 the .3 i have a stoker:aha: .3 i don't know ? because i can feel im getting fuel cut?? and fuel lag when i make boost at all ? that's why i think they are bad am i wrong ?

You don't know what the ".3" means, but you are sure you need larger injectors? No offense intended, but this sounds to me like you have a lot to learn about your motor and tuning in general, and just want bigger injectors because it sounds cool.

As I tried to explain, you don't need bigger injectors; you need a better tuning/logging solution and more knowledge.

Max HP X BSFC/(# of cylinders X .8)=injector size in lb/hr

The problem with a generic injector calculator is that it doesn't take into account the small 16g turbo he's running at only 17psi, or the SAFC and lack of tuning experience.

He doesn't need larger injectors, and won't until he moves up to ECMLink (or similar) and learns how to use it.

One downside to ordering injectors that big: tuning for a decent idle is going to be REALLY difficult. You can do it, but its not easy. Especially if he must pass a smog test. It will run WAY rich at idle.

Not with ECMLink, which is what prdsmracer03 recommended before upgrading to the larger injectors.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back