The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Best Drag Radials for FWD? and is 10sec possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillylepricon37

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2008
Rapid City, South_Dakota
I'm at 500whp in my 99 gst and i was wondering what drag radials are going to help me hook up the best for street driving. Another think i was curious about: Are there any 10 second Gst's out there? and is it hard to get to that point.... I kinda want some feedback and your guys thoughts. I think it would be sweet to have a 10 second GST.

What are you running for a trans? Untill i got a quaife, i could spin 26 x 9.5 x 15'' slicks all through 2nd gear (and those are a lot taller than the oem tires)

as for drag radials, I haven't foudn one that i can hook on yet.. When i was at 300hp i could get decent traction on them once i got a LSD, but as soon as i crossed back over the 400 mark that was all over with. Even with the rear of the car jacked way up in the air via coil overs to get weight on them nothing short of a slick on low psi will hook up. I'm spinning street tires in third on the interstate by just rolling into it at 430hp, so if you're truely at 500 you should already be feeling the fact that nothing short of a slick is going to hook up.

AS for 10 second GS-T's, by my HP, and 70-90 times i should be a solid mid to low 11 and i've yet to hit anywhere better than 12.0xx and i did that years ago with much less power.. now i just spin more and MPH out higher in the end :(

You'd have to do some serious gutting to hit 10's on a 2g FWD, and if it's streetable it's only because you had plates on it before the modding and live some where that doesn't do yearly inspections

Glen when are you going to go awd conversion? I'm really surprised you didn't jump into it a long time ago with the skills you have.

TO be completely honest that was my plan for the longest time, but when i was working for the postal service and blew my trans i needed one ASAP and could not find a used FWD 2g turbo trans aywhere in the US (searched a network of recyled yards i use towork for that have yards in every state and couldn't find a thing!) SO the only choice i had left was to call Jon at TRE as i had dealt with him years earlier on some motorcycle stuff and he built me a nice FWD trans with quafe diff and got it to me in the time frame i had to work with.

Now, I'm still wanting to go AWD, but with the price of the TRE trans and knowing i'll never get out of it what i have in it i just kinda shake my head and take in the realization that unless i hit the lotto it probably aint happenin :(

Hell, now i have a spare 2g FWD turbo trans and can't sell the damn thing for the life of me and when i needed one you couldn't get one used, now no one needs one...that's my luck

I figure that i'll build a pre-1972 RWD 4g63 powered fun-car (pre 72 so i'll not ever have to worry about emissions when i move back east here soon ) and get myself a nice daily driver that's slow and inconspicuouse, sell my shell or something and then start that project, but right now my health is not so good so putting money in cars is the last thing i can worry about.. hell i can't even afford to put a used hx35 onmy car cause i'm about to lose my house due to mounting medical bills and missed work time :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back