The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Best Coilover for Auto X and DD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshMc

Proven Member
Nov 18, 2015
Kansas City, Missouri
Okay guys, so as im getting closer to finishing my build, i know a good quality set of coil-overs are a must for my goals with this car, it will be my daily driver to and from work, my commute is about 60 miles a day and there is almost no city driving involved, my house and work place are only a couple minutes from the highway

further more, i will Hopefully be competing in 5-10 Autocross events every year as well as one or two visits to the drag strip just to see what i can run, and the possibility of a Track Day or 2 at Heartland Park Topeka as it is getting closer that the repairs will be finished soon!

i do know that if money wasn't an option id go for the KW Variant 3's and call it a day, but sadly for me those just are not in my budget, so after doing a little research these are the Coil-overs ive found to fit my budget nicely, if anyone has more suggestions by all means go for it, but these are the setups i have my eye on,

In no particular order

- BC Racing BR Coilovers ($995.00)

https://store.bcracingusa.com/products/mitsubishi?variant=15930749318

- Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilovers ($1,199.00)
http://fortuneautosuperstore.com/fortune-auto-500-series-coilovers-for-mitsubishi-eclipse-d33a/

- Ground Control Complete Coilover Kit ($1,199.00)
http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=928/CA=4

- Feal 441 Coilovers ($1,350.00)
http://fealsuspensionstore.com/product/feal-441-coilovers-95-99-mitsubishi-eclipse-2g-awd/

- K Sport RR Version Coilovers ($1,400.00)
http://ksportusa.com/b2c/proddetail.php?prod=CMT060-RR

- Tein Flex Coilovers ($1,350.00
http://www.tein.com/products/street_flex.html

These were the ones I found in my searches, and i pulled prices straight from the company's site, so i know i could find them cheaper elsewhere, but based solely on performance, reliability, how often do they need rebuilds, etc etc, what would everyone recommend for my needs? openly discuss and bring your thoughts on each set-up please!

Last edited:
Get feals, they got spherical top mounts and are possibly the best ones going for our cars at the moment, fortune do offer a great shock but downside is no spherical upper mounts and they wont modify either as ive been and asked them several times. So stick with feal and just like many others, you wont be disapointed, im running BC w/sphericals and they are good aswell but i do want feals if i want another set of budget coilovers

Last edited:
FEALS are an amazing autox/DD coilover. Know that I have stiffer spring rates than the off the shelf FEAL's. I dont have too many events under my belt with them but I'm putting down faster times every event and still getting better. Last event I was 2nd in raw time in my class (SM) behind a turbo FRS with all the suspension mods you can possibly to to it and I'm looking forward to getting more seat time and being very competitive with him. As for street driving, it rides way smoother than my pro kit/illumina setup I had before and I thought that was a good setup for street driving. I never worry about how harsh the cars gonna feel if I didn't see a pothole or bump in the road. Any time @GofaST4life talked about suspension, I would through FEAL at him until he would change the subject because that's how much I like them. If you're serious about placing high in autox and your region has good drivers, FEAL or the DG coilovers are the only ways to go, IMHO.

I have the DG coilovers. Buy far the best coilovers I personal have used, other were Tein Super Street & Flex, & KYB's. I got the DG setup before the Feals were available for our cars. I'm curious if anyone has experience with the Feals & DG's & if so, which they thought were better. I do like the fact that the DG's have upper spring perches on both front & back to keep the spring force truly coaxial, unlike the Feals.

I have the DG coilovers. Buy far the best coilovers I personal have used, other were Tein Super Street & Flex, & KYB's. I got the DG setup before the Feals were available for our cars. I'm curious if anyone has experience with the Feals & DG's & if so, which they thought were better. I do like the fact that the DG's have upper spring perches on both front & back to keep the spring force truly coaxial, unlike the Feals.
The feal also have upper spring perch's or radial upper mounts! They come as standard on the front as thats where they are only needed.

^^ For most people front only is probably fine but the rears rotate too (all be it not as much) & pushing to the limit it you will begin to notice the onset of inconsistent dampening response. Auto X guy should be able to tell.

FEALS are an amazing autox/DD coilover. Know that I have stiffer spring rates than the off the shelf FEAL's.

when i was looking on there site, i noticed you can choose the Road Race option, and they contact you personally about your build and build you a custom spec set of coilovers, is this what you did for your setup @99ECLIPSEGSXDSM ?

Eem
^^ For most people front only is probably fine but the rears rotate too (all be it not as much) & pushing to the limit it you will begin to notice the onset of inconsistent dampening response. Auto X guy should be able to tell.
explain how they rotate when there is no rear steer on our cars!!! They do not rotate on the rears, the springs may shimmy around but they dont actually need rotation like the fronts do from steering

Shock pivots at the top in one plane on bump & droop several degrees.

Last edited:
@danielsl1999gsx I know you run the feal coilovers, how have you liked them since you installed them a couple months ago? Had any track time on them yet?
I haven't done any real track days besides the 1/4 mile on them but these things have been nothing but amazing on street/canyons. I continue to stand by these units and recommend them to anyone.

If I were on a tight budget, FEAL setups would be at the top of the list mentioned in post #1. However, I am also with @Mello on the DG setup. I have managed to piece together two sets for about $1,400 each. What I like in addition to the benefits Mello shared, was that the majority of the parts are readily available (aside from the machined parts). This setup is also well-documented and has a proven "track"-record. Additionally, Dennis Grant even provides the spec sheets to make the machined components. The downside as mentioned by @ec17pse is that further modification for additional adjustment and heavier spring rates can add up quick. However, the spring rates you would consider for street manners and Autocross/track days would not reach the limits of the Koni yellow anyway. Bear in mind, once you start doing a variety of events, you will find that your setup will not be optimal for any events. You will find yourself likely going in one or two directions once you find your niche. At this point, you will want to look into a more dedicated setup. Don't forget to consider other suspension components bushings and sway bar options as well.

when i was looking on there site, i noticed you can choose the Road Race option, and they contact you personally about your build and build you a custom spec set of coilovers, is this what you did for your setup @99ECLIPSEGSXDSM ?

Pretty much. They have a pre thought up setup for road racing depending on your mods but I upped the rear a little from their recommendation to help the car rotate a little more.

I don't have an opinion on the Feals - never owned them.

I used to have Tein Flex coilovers and initially thought they were great because of how stiff they were. Once I upgraded to the DG setup, I realized how crappy the Tein shocks were. The Koni shocks are a great match for DD/track days and the DG setup has been proven to work. I've been on it for a while and have a track weekend and a bunch of autox events on it with no issues. It feels really smooth going in and out of corners, very predictable response, and I can DD the car on it if I need to (it's not my DD).

Shock pivots at the top in one plane on bump & droop several degrees.
Its going to shimmy Little as standard but if the correct preload and perch is setup correctly it wont move due to no load as its akready set, when i say move and twist im assuming you have looked and seen how much the front shocks twist on steering right! Thats the different between front and rear, the rears just go up and down they do not rotate like the fronts do at all, they may shimmy in its location but the motion of the spring just goes up/down not side to side like the fronts do, they have central retainers of keeping the rear spring central and for shimmying around its axis,

On my BC i decided to upgrade all 4 to sphericals with the radial bearings, i know i didnt need the rears but i just like to have everything as gokd as i can get it, so my words contradict myself but its hinestly not needed in the rear as much as the front does,

okay im just curious, were those DG coilovers a group buy in a couple years ago? i think a local guy i bought some parts fom had a full setup and was bragging about how awesome they are, my question is, dont the Koni yellows come with a lifetime warranty? i feel like a heard that some where... also, if im understanding this correctly, the DG setup from Jay racing are not adjustable at all? or are they?

from what i Gather now tho it seems the best options are the FEAls with the road race option which are $1,550... or the DG Setup which is $2,000? is the extra $500 worth it? what do yo guys think?

Has anyone Ran both sets on there car? that would be awesome if someone had that info...

I run the DG koni setup and autocrossed my car at over 15 events this year. I run 800lb springs up front and 425lb springs in the rear. (rear springs were installed for 2 events. Ran 350 for the rest of the year)

I would not go any softer than my 800/425. Honestly, I would like to go up a bit more in the rear, but the koni's won't handle it. The setup is not harsh by any means, but the rears are stiff as hell. I don't and would not want to DD my car. But, spring stiffness is least of your worries. A competitive autocross car will have its bushings done, sway bars, and coilovers with high rates. The combination of these is what makes for a harsh ride. (maybe not the sways as much) Proper performance suspension can be soft, (I run softer shocks settings than I do on the street while autocrossing) but they aren't designed to deal with a pothole at any speed.

With that being said... TIRES have a huge affect on a cars ride. Super low profile tires with stiff sidewalls will ride like shit, even on soft suspension. I started off this year on Advans and switched to Bridgestones mid-season. Same 245/40 size, but the Bridgestones have a softer sidewall. It made a noticeable difference in ride quality (and turn-in response). The car felt like a Caddy afterwards. haha

On my BC i decided to upgrade all 4 to sphericals with the radial bearings, i know i didnt need the rears but i just like to have everything as gokd as i can get it, so my words contradict myself but its hinestly not needed in the rear as much as the front does,

Where did you get the spherical mounts for your BC's?

Last edited:
I
I run the DG koni setup and autocrossed my car at over 15 events this year. I run 800lb springs up front and 425lb springs in the rear. (rear springs were installed for 2 events. Ran 350 for the rest of the year)

I would not go any softer than my 800/425. Honestly, I would like to go up a bit more in the rear, but the koni's won't handle it. The setup is not harsh by any means, but the rears are stiff as hell. I don't and would not want to DD my car. But, spring stiffness is least of your worries. A competitive autocross car will have its bushings done, sway bars, and coilovers with high rates. The combination of these is what makes for a harsh ride. (maybe not the sways as much) Proper performance suspension can be soft, (I run softer shocks settings than I do on the street while autocrossing) but they aren't designed to deal with a pothole at any speed.

Where did you get the spherical mounts for your BC's?
got them direct from them, its in this review i did. http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-bc-br-coilovers-review.501447/

okay im just curious, were those DG coilovers a group buy in a couple years ago? i think a local guy i bought some parts fom had a full setup and was bragging about how awesome they are, my question is, dont the Koni yellows come with a lifetime warranty? i feel like a heard that some where... also, if im understanding this correctly, the DG setup from Jay racing are not adjustable at all? or are they?.

Yes, I ran two group buys on here for the DG setup through Jay Racing. No lifetime warranty that I'm aware of. They are adjustable in regards to ride height, but not in regards to spring preload.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back