benefits of exhaust mani heat shield

Posted by dan2288, Jun 24, 2010
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. dan2288

dan2288 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Shillington, Pennsylvania
    Right now I have a fp race mani that is ceramic coated and I have a jmf heat shield for it . I am wanting to sell the heat shield and was wondering how important is it? What would be affected by the high engine bay temp? I do have my air filter in the wheel well so it is getting cold air. So would it matter if its on there or not?
  2. ramsack

ramsack Banned Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    is it ceramic coated both inside and outside, if not, then getting rid of the heatshield will add to the heat in the bay by a lot. if it is coated both inside and out then the manifold doesn't transmit much heat and it would be fine to remove the heat shield.
  3. pboglio

pboglio Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Palos Heights, Illinois
    FP race manifold ceramic coated inside and out here. Without a heat shield you will certainly cook the spark plugs wires, valve cover gasket, power steering pump, radiator hose, etc. etc.
  4. burkgonzo

burkgonzo Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Do the hood mod. Let that air out.
  5. ramsack

ramsack Banned Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    i thought ceramic was supposed to be an insulator and keep heat from soaking into the manifold? if it's that pointless then i will never have it done.
  6. dsmdeliveryboy

dsmdeliveryboy Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Medford, Oregon
    Many people are running the FP manifold with no heatshield and this has not happened to them, a bit of misleading info..

Temps will be substantially lower in the engine bay, if you have it I would keep it as they're very hard to come by.
  7. pboglio

pboglio Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Palos Heights, Illinois
    Yes, if they could coat the inner portion effectively that would be great, but they can't. Hood mod can only lets hot air out, not stop radiation. Same thing as being in an air-conditioned room and getting microwaved to death on a nice sunny day.

Ceramic coatings are minimally effective in these thicknesses. Space shuttle uses a thick ceramic plating or maybe that "aerogel" material, not some .003" paint. A heat shield should be called a "radiation shield". And in that respect they work extremely well. Factory goes as far as fiberglass wadding, clam shelled by a heat shield. If ceramics were worth a damn it would be simply easier to "spray paint" the coating on and be done with it, but they don't.
  8. ramsack

ramsack Banned Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    there's gotta be a way...

i remember watching american chopper a few years back and they had an exhaust ceramic coated, and they were able to touch it within a few seconds of turning the engine off.
  9. pboglio

pboglio Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Palos Heights, Illinois
    Do you run an FP manifold?
  10. nek

nek Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    For what it matters, I wouldnt run w/o an exhaust manifold. Completely unbeneficial.
  11. ramsack

ramsack Banned Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    i think everyone's engine bay is different. my engine bay is stock with the heatshields and it is the hottest engine bay i have ever witnessed. even if the car sits for days without running and i open the hood it is pretty damn hot.

i thought ceramic coating was like powder coating (electrostatic)? if it is then why couldn't you just spray the powder inside the manifold runners until it is fully coated? the space shuttle see re-entry temperatures, far above any temperature any component a car will ever see, and there are living people and life support equipment inside. unmanned spacecraft don't tend to need as thick of a thermal barrier.
  12. rommel rojasgsx

rommel rojasgsx Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    hollywood, Florida
    i have a 2g coated mani with no shield. nothings getting fried. i even put wireloom on the o2 wire to see if the loom would melt. is not. now botton shield. thats another story. fried 2 alternators LOL.Autozone will never find out
  13. dan2288

dan2288 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Shillington, Pennsylvania
    its coated both in and out. Guess I will just keep it them. Seems the save a lot of parts.
  14. pboglio

pboglio Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Palos Heights, Illinois
    FP race manifold has a very high surface area, probably double the stock 2g manifold. You can't compare the two unshielded.