The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Bellhousing seperating

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teezy

Proven Member
Nov 23, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
I found a 1g dsm 4g63 NT in great condition for 500, but the bellhousing is causing it not to go into gear because it separates from the block when the clutch is pressed. The guy told me that he took out the bolt from the trans motor mount because it lets the trans come together with the block. Any suggestions? The clutch was installed at a Honda dealership :applause: He also mentioned lots of vibration, but then I took a look at the motor mounts and noticed that they all had prothane inserts haha. Any help greatly appreciated.

Missing bellhousing bolts, probably missing dowels as well. Don't be surprised if there is a crack in the bellhousing also.

Bellhousing isn't cracked, but I was thinking dowels as well. We'll see when I get the car home and pull the trans.

I'm pretty sure it's missing a bolt or two, can't go wrong with blue locktite.

Thats right thats what I used.when I bought my 2g it was doing the same thing as yours and when I pulled the tranny I only had two screws and no dowel pins . luckily I was able to separate the tranny enough to slide in the dowel pins

Ok, so after actually having some extra time on my hands I decided to drop the tranny but as I was unbolted the crossmember I came across this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The thread from the engine block that holds the bolt from the transmission broke off, and I have no idea how they managed to do that. Well, is there anyway that I can fix it besides getting a new block? Would it be possible to get somebody to weld something on there? The car is in great shape for its age so I didn't really want to scrap it.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

I purchased a 1g AWD with this same problem years ago and racked my brain on a cheap and effective repair as I didn't have the ear to try welding it back onto the block. I came up with an extension of the front engine mount bracket made with thick steel that allowed me use that front bell housing bolt. I daily drove the car for three years after that with no issues at all.

You can weld and repair the cast iron with a process called powder welding, but I would bet you would need to remove the block from the car to do it. In addition, the heat might not be good for the gaskets and seals which might force a teardown. At that point it might be more cost effective to get a used engine and swap it in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back