Battery keeps corroding!

Posted by JwUoNoG, Mar 8, 2005
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. JwUoNoG

JwUoNoG Proven Member

Perry Hall/Parkville, Maryland
    In the past month, my battery terminals have corroded about 3 or 4 times. It gets to the point where the car won't even start. What should I do? Can i just buy new terminals?

Why does it keep corroding?

It sure did make me mad. I punched my closet door.. and it broke. :laugh: :shhh:
  2. RamenPride

RamenPride Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    clean the posts with baking soda and water. you can try putting on those felt washers also. coating the terminals with grease helps also.
  3. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    glorious Galt, California
    On the end of the battery rack at Wal*Mart there's a bubble package with a little tiny spray can. It's some horrid red goo, costs $3, and a layer of it will quell corrosion forever. Use some cardboard around the area so you don't get overspray everywhere.
  4. garagetuner160

garagetuner160 Proven Member

Fort Wayne, Indiana
    if the battery is old, it could of developed a crack if the car sat for a while over the winter.

Brian
  5. JwUoNoG

JwUoNoG Proven Member

Perry Hall/Parkville, Maryland
    The battery's brand new. I'm gonna buy some new terminals, and then get some of that red goop stuff. I'm also gonna get some terminal protector things, I don't have those right now.

Take that, battery terminal corrosion. :mad:
  6. Toshiro

Toshiro Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Sacramento, California
    I had the same problem, and it got to where my car wouldn't start at all. I cleaned the terminals with baking soda and water, and it fixed it for a few hours (next morning it was worse than before). Finally the solution was to simply pull the cables off, completely clean everything, put new felt washers on and GREASE them. I think the source of this problem in the first place may have been a lack of grease, but now they have been working fine and are very clean after a few weeks.
  7. GTM

GTM Proven Member

Los Angeles, California
    One thing not mentioned is overcharging which causes out gassing and the vapors condense on various parts.

Yes it's best if you remove the terminals from the battery and use a proper cleaning tool for both the posts and terminals, use the baking soda for cleaning the salts. Wash the crud out of the battery box and surrounding area, dry things off and use the color coded corrosion inhibotor pads or attach cables, positive first ... right. Then use the foaming red stuff (baking soda, red dye, and light grease??) If aerosol lithium grease is cheaper then used that for you will have plenty to lube all your hinges, locks, latches for the next year.

Do monitor battery voltage static and after 1/2 hour plus of driving every few days for as mentioned above you could have an overchaging condition.

Cheers,
    GTM