The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Balljoint turning with nut, can't remove

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renovatdkitchen

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 25, 2011
Toronto, ON_Canada
After trying every listed method, my balljoint still spins with the nut and I've decided to cut it at the boot with my angle grinder tomorrow. Before I do, however, does anyone have any recommendations as to anything else I can try other than pushing up on the ball joint with a jack?

Put a 2x4 against the lower control arm and fender well before jacking the arm, this will give you the weight and force you need.

I could tap it, but cutting it off seems muc easier. Aren't the forks for pulling the balljoint out of the knuckle? The balljoint is out, and that's my problem.

That I haven't thought of yet Zach. But isn't the axle in the way?

You can place the wood on either the straight Lower control arm or the curved one as long as it keeps the shock from compressing an putting all the weight on the jack area. It takes some maneuvering but it'll come out, no need to cut anything.

So you're hitting it with an impact right? I'm guessing you've loosened it to the point that the balljoint is out of the hole enough that the "splined" part at the base of the stud isnt pressed in, keeping it from spinning with the nut? If so, you should be able to either wack it with a hammer from the bottom back into the hole until the splines grab and hold in stud from spinning, or you can use a jack to essentially do the same thing. You could also try adding a little heat to it with a torch and not only loosen the nut but also tighten the grip on the splined part of the stud. I certainly wouldn't go cutting the stud yet when you've got plenty of more effective options

Well, I don't know what to tell ya bro. All I know is I worked for 2 tire shops, a brake shop, 3 dealerships and 2 performance/chassis fab shops over the last 16 years, not to mention all the maintenance with owning 3 dsm's along the way, and I can say I've done hundreds of balljoints using those techniques and only know of two times when I wasn't able to get them out this way and only ONCE where I had to cut the stud and even then, the only reason was because the nut and end of the stud had rusted so bad that the threads were screwed and the nut was deteriorated so it just crossthreaded, seized up, and rounded off so I had to cut it off...

Zach is right on the money, it works great since a large percent of the car weight is being supported directly by the ball joint. However, I use a 2x4 between the UPPER control arm and fender well. All the same, just whatever is easier.

Hardly ever do you need to get extreme with ball joints. Maybe not true for oddball automotive models but in my experience it's just a need to step back, think, and manipulate the suspension one way or another. Don't know why rr06rs has such a problem with balljoints..

You cant get at the lower one with an impact. But then again the OP hasnt mentioned which one..

Which balljoint you doin?

use a nut buster tool or angle grinder with cut off wheel to cut/ crack the nut off , then put pry bar in there on top side of control arm, have some one push down while you smack the ball joint with a decent size hammer will work i promise! you may even have to disconnect the bottom side of the strut to make life easier but then you will defiantly need an alignment,

if you rest the car on jack stands dont put them under the lower control arm flanges either it will put upward force on the control arm and it will be alot harder to get the strut to line back up. good luck!! :thumb:

Last edited:
You cant get at the lower one with an impact. But then again the OP hasnt mentioned which one..

Which balljoint you doin?

Doing the lower lateral arm so I can't get an impact on it.

Here I go. Going to try the 2x4 on the control arm idea and the socket on a jack right under where the balljoint is. If that doesn't work than out come the cutting tools. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that though.

Don't know why rr06rs has such a problem with balljoints..

Heh??? I think you might want to go back and read.... I never said I had any problems with balljoints..... That's the op. I was saying that its NOT that difficult to get them out.

When that happens to me, I jam a pickle fork in and use an impact. Works every time.

Something like 7 jobs, 3 dsms and still haven't found any shortcuts... I smell bs.

In the auto world, just need the right tools and it's usually a breeze.

So, if anyone is interested, I actually came up with a brilliant idea compared to trying to cut the nut off the ball joint. What I did was I cut into the end piece where the ball is held in with a grinder, hammered in a steel wedge to hold them together and unscrewed the nut.

Worked perfectly, and nothing else came close to being at risk of damaging.

Something like 7 jobs, 3 dsms and still haven't found any shortcuts... I smell bs.

In the auto world, just need the right tools and it's usually a breeze.

I still don't understand why your focusing on me? Im not the one asking for help nor did I start this thread. I don't need a shortcut getting balljoints loose because I have no problems getting them loose by simply using an impact splitter fork, and hammer. Just as you and others said.....the right tools.

Hey I'm just sayin there's not much to the balljoints, no need to bust out supermans job history :p

Well I don't mean to come off as 100% prick, it's just sometimes the ole' -overly exaggerated cluster threads for a easy enough task- peeve comes out. I'm working on it though.\

OP, glad to hear you got it done.

whoo-hoo 2k posts!*

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back