The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bad rod Bearing? engine knock

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfunk3367

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2009
Norton, Virginia
2g 420a n/t almost positive that i have spun a rod bearing. the way i plan on fixing the internals is replacing the crankshaft with new main bearing and rod bearings. and new head gasket. its blown too. i think. should this be it with out looking at the internals. i know there can be alot of stuff messed up when getting into the engine. what should i double check and ensure is in great working conditions before i seal it back up. also should i replace the lower gasket. i think its the lower head gasket. you can buy the set. Im open for options but looking to do it as cheap but as proper as possible. let me know; going to buy parts on tuesday 10/6. Also when checking the rod bearing you pop off one of the plugg wires and try to determine which one makes the sound get lower. or make the sound stop which one. Also i am almost positive that its cause of coolant leaking into the engine what to look for when trying to fix that problem

If you have spun a bearing you have a serious problem on your hands. It requires a pretty extensive inspection. You will have to check the bearing journals because they are most likely out of spec at best, and all chewed up at worst. They need to be measured, and unless you know what you are doing it is a job for the machine shop. Just changing bearings will not fix the problem. It will spin again in 100 miles if you don't address the root problem. More than likely there are a lot of oil shavings in the oil, so the pump is at risk. It may have been the root cause. What I am trying to say is, in order to really fix it, you really should pull it and do a complete rebuild.

Thanks man that helps. I was waivering between a rebuild kit or just that. Now I seen some cheap rebuild kits on ebay if u have a chance would u look at them I think they are goin for like 375 and see what u think. Have u ever done this. Should I get a new crank or just have it machined

Thanks man that helps. I was waivering between a rebuild kit or just that. Now I seen some cheap rebuild kits on ebay if u have a chance would u look at them I think they are goin for like 375 and see what u think. Have u ever done this. Should I get a new crank or just have it machined

I would say leave the crank question up to a machinist. They can tell you how out of spec it is and recommend turning or replacement. For low power you can get away with having it turned quite a bit, but for high power you probably want to have a fresh crank. I can't comment on the N/A parts because I don't have any experience in that area.

thanks man . I dont have any experience either. but me and my friend are dsm for life haha..... and we can figure it out i think that im gonna get the rebuild kit and start to see. if any one has the specs that i need to know that would be awsome hopefully all of them so i can double check once i get started i have searched but just afraid i will miss something

Your best bet would be to take it to a machine shop and have them check everything. I bought a 97 gst with a spun bearing last weekend, tore it apart and did not find the rod bearing in the number 2 cylinder. I drop off the motor today at the machine shop to get the block deck, hone, ground the crank and head resurface for 350 including new main and rod bearing.

awesome man that helps keep me updated either on my post or private messages that sounds the like the way to go.... so did you just take them the parts you thought was bad .... give me some ideas i am gonna take it apart this weekend

awesome man that helps keep me updated either on my post or private messages that sounds the like the way to go.... so did you just take them the parts you thought was bad .... give me some ideas i am gonna take it apart this weekend

Yeah the machine shop will need the block, crank and rods. I will keep you updated hopefully I will be done next weekend.

To add to the post i flushed the radiator fluid out last night. I filled it back up to just check for leaks without cranking the car there was some radiator fluid dripping down to the oil pan. Not sure, but its the water pump in my opinion. Can a bad bearing in the water pump make a rattlling/knocking noise. Possible sound like a spun rod bearing. ??????

Well I bought a rebuild kit expecting the worse hoping for the best. I am down to the crankshaft sprocket and Im stuck it will not come off. Used several pullers, I used a harmonic dampner pulley which worked but i stripped the puller. So actually it didnt work. I am going to try a new puller and heat to see if i can get this sprocket unseized.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back