The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Bad maf??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayo Stanciu

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2016
Rosamond, California
Having somewhat of a head scratcher.. my car is having a bogging issue when at WOT.. I checked for boost leaks already and I have none, spark plugs are new and gapped at .28, and the wires are also about a month maybe a little more old. CEL is on for fuel trim but not sure where to start on that.. any ideas on what it can be.. it drives fine if I slowly build up speed til about 4 1/2k-5k Rpms or if I step on it the car just feels like it hit a wall and bogs once again a boost leak test was performed and nothing was leaking..had a for installed and it’s set at 50psi I have 550 RC injectors and a 255 walbro pump. My AF ratio is all over the place jumping from 10-16.. on my apexi safc the karman reads roughly around 300-380hz cruising and when get on the throttle a bit more is around 650ish.. anybody else have this problem? So s BLT was done and there were no leaks but the bov one I had found but I fixed that and r checked it and had no more after that.
Also my mpg is real shit took quarter of a tank at 47 miles on it
Car is manual

Last edited:
You can't adjust enough on the safc to run 550 fuel injectors. You're bogging the hell out of the car.

You need to have a tune done, the AFC can trick the ECU to change fuel settings, but it can't calibrate fuel trims enough to adjust for the extra capacity.

So if you have a wideband and are using an AFC to adjust fuel settings you're gonna have a bad time

You can't adjust enough on the safc to run 550 fuel injectors. You're bogging the hell out of the car.

You need to have a tune done, the AFC can trick the ECU to change fuel settings, but it can't calibrate fuel trims enough to adjust for the extra capacity.

So if you have a wideband and are using an AFC to adjust fuel settings you're gonna have a bad time
Well it was working until I had that boost leak at the bov but also had a for installed before it was located. So idk if maybe that is the problem because it ran good before the bov leak and fpr install

I don't think it has anything to do with the SAFC ... I run a SAFC with 650's on a tune and car runs awesome. As said above, you have too much fuel bogging the car. 50 is way over. If it's a 1G head 6-bolt swap it would be 37psi. You should notice a huge difference with that one adjustment. Are you getting black exhaust gas or a backfire?

I don't think it has anything to do with the SAFC ... I run a SAFC with 650's on a tune and car runs awesome. As said above, you have too much fuel bogging the car. 50 is way over. If it's a 1G head 6-bolt swap it would be 37psi. You should notice a huge difference with that one adjustment. Are you getting black exhaust gas or a backfire?

I’ll tune it down to 37 psi and give that a shot. And no black smoke or backfiring just bogging

Hoping it’s the fuel pressure I’ll try it at 37 and 43 and see what works best.. but 57 miles on the tank and half of it is gone so mpg are rea crappy

I am not sure. Would need to check fuel trims and wideband at wot to see if it is fuel related or not. In my personal experiance I had severe hesitation at wot on my stock 2g back like ten years ago and it turned out to be Bosch plugs that someone installed. Switch to ngk and I became a believer. In your situation I would start by ruling basic things out first. You need a scanner or ecmlink for that. Good luck and let us know what fixed it.

I am not sure. Would need to check fuel trims and wideband at wot to see if it is fuel related or not. In my personal experiance I had severe hesitation at wot on my stock 2g back like ten years ago and it turned out to be Bosch plugs that someone installed. Switch to ngk and I became a believer. In your situation I would start by ruling basic things out first. You need a scanner or ecmlink for that. Good luck and let us know what fixed it.

The plugs are only like a month and a half old I just got new NGk ones, my plugs are gapped at .028 bpr6es, a/f is roughly around 15-17 sometimes at 10. And did blt at 20psi found no leaks.. saving up to buy ECMLink

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back