The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G bad intermediate shaft bearing signs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostedTT91

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 2, 2004
Elysburg, Pennsylvania
What are some signs or noises I might get from a bad intermediate shaft bearing? I am getting some driveline noise which is constant and I'm pretty sure it's the shaft bearing. I put one on my buddy had laying around which the condition probably wasn't excellent by means but I want to be sure b4 I replace it or diagnosing other issues as it's definitely a bad bearing sound

Cyclic noisein the frequency of rotation. It wont change with gear change. If it changes with braking id say wheel bearing before intermediate. Its a cheap part at least.

Yea it's constant with the speed during acceleration and decel. It does sound like it's coming from that area and the tcase or trans definitely shouldn't be making any noise yet

The noise basically follows the acceleration. The more I accelerate, the louder it gets. If I let off and slow it, it slows down

any other ideas, i dont think it is the intermediate shaft, its is basically rpm based. the faster i go, the louder it will get and if i push in the clutch, it gets quieter

That would almost have to be trans or throwout bearing. Given it changes at clutch in id say throwout is less likely

I would suggest that you stop driving it and pull the trans and fix it driving it is only going to make the problem worse. If it happens to be the throw out bearing and you keep driving it you are going to break off the input shaft sleeve that the throw out bearing slide back and forth on and and at this point you will need to get a new bell housing, which is very hard to find. Pull the trans tear it apart and kill the guess work parts for these car are getting scarce by the day don't take a chance. Just my $.02:thumb:

Last edited:
well im not a transmissing expert so i don't feel comfortable ripping the transmission completely apart. I sure better not be the trans seeing it only has 60k miles on it, i sure would think a bearing would last longer than that, but im gonna put it up on stands and get under it to see if i can hear anything with it running in gear

well im not a transmissing expert so i don't feel comfortable ripping the transmission completely apart. I sure better not be the trans seeing it only has 60k miles on it, i sure would think a bearing would last longer than that, but im gonna put it up on stands and get under it to see if i can hear anything with it running in gear
Well an improperly assembled transmission will let you know in very short order. Even the transmissions gurus make carless mistakes sometimes and that's the truth! These transmissions are not all that difficult if you can follow a few instructions.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back