The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

bad headgasket cause no heat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

992GNTme

Probationary Member
Dec 14, 2008
florence, Alabama
Alright, so i got in my spare car the other day and i have had this problem the whole time i have owned this car. The car has over 200,000 miles. The car runs great no misfire of any sort but, it smokes when it is ideling and has no heat. It has little to no pressure on the radiator hose and sometimes when its hot outside will run hot. So my question is, can a bad heas gasket cause these few problems?:hmm: BTW the car is a 96 420a. Any help would be greatly appricated. thanks,Chris.

Sounds like you either have a air pocket locked in your cooling system or the Thermostat is jammed closed. Either situation can cause lack of hot coolant to go to your heater core and cause the hot temp on hot days.

Start by replacing your thermostat and refreshing your coolant and see if that helps. beyond that it could be something wrong with your heater control and you can't tell until your certain you've got warm coolant going to it first.

Could be a bad water pump. I had this on a bmw 3 series, when the car was idling the heaters blew cold but as soon as you revved the engine they blew hot, apparently it was a common problem so I lived with it.

+1 on the water pump. Head gasket can cause smoking, but it depends on what kind of smoking it is. It could also be a valve stem leaking oil into the combustion chamber, but if it's only on idle it could be running a little rich.

Sweet smell = antifreeze. The smoke looks very similar and often the scent is the dead giveaway.

sounds like a bad head gasket.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back