The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Bad Glowshift oil pressure gauge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefire16

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
So i got my gauge, and it worked great except it would stick, sent it in, got a new one and that one worked good for a couple days. Now the thing works like a peak and hold, itll go up to like 65 psi and hold....even at idle. If it gets higher like on the highway itll goto 80 and then when i get off its still at 80!? I have no major leaks, a small drip but nothing big at all. Then today i redid all my lines. They are all grounded down well and tight, and everything. So anyone have any ideas?

So the gauge was out of stock, they didnt get them in till late, and ugh just problems thank god it should be here tomorrow though, HOWEVER my car is at the tranny shop and wont be done till Tuesday, so Wed i will get it put on, i got a lot of other little other work to do to the car as well.

So i got the new one in, seemed to be calibrated better then the last and put the new sender in...then PROBLEM solved! Gauge is reading perfect, 40 plus a little more sometimes at cold start, drops to 20 after warm. It seems to be getting a little higher then it initially did but i think its just im a tad low on oil...

Yeah, I doubt it would be. I'm pretty sure it's just a bad ground. We already have 3" of snow here with another 4-8" expected, so I'm not going to be working on the car for a little while.
But at least the sender is cheap.
Replacement Oil Pressure Sender Unit - $13 + shipping (about $10 for me).

Hey goon do you happen to get your gauge problem figured out? Mine recently started doing the same thing after a year and a half's use.

Ground looked good. Blue, was your gauge sitting maxed out with no reading like mine was?

I'm just wanted to be sure its the sender and not the gauge, because I had an old glowshift narrowband a/f gauge that did the exact same thing, and obviously in that case, it was that gauge becuase there is no a/f sender.

I think its time for some higher quality gauges.
ones that wont break as often, plus you get what you pay for,
cheaper gaugges like glowshift are sometimes off.
What good is an inaccurate gauge?

I plan on getting some autometers when i get the money:thumb:

Hey goon do you happen to get your gauge problem figured out? Mine recently started doing the same thing after a year and a half's use.

My sender is dead. I just haven't got around to ordering a new one yet. I tested it with a multi-meter and the resistance didn't change between when the car was off, and when it was running.

dont ever get buy glowshift's oil pressure gauges. cause you are taking a chance when you do. you could it a glowshift gauge thats works for 2 years or thats broke out of the box. thay have alway had problems with their senders. i have had two oil pressure gauge from them go bad the first one lasted 2 months and the second one lasted a day not sure why thay go out so fast or so often but thay do. but more then not it will go:aha: out within 5months so just get an autometer and save your self some money in the long. but i'm not saying that glowshift gauges make a bad gauge thay just dont make a good sender.

Bumping an old thread...
My glowshift arrived yesterday, and the needle is sitting at 10psi... Seems weird to me like the gauge is broken or non calibrated.

It's still in the box btw.

Is the gauge broken

Yea, theyre no good. Ive had one in my car for a year~3000 miles. Its flaky and reads low. When its fully warm the oil pressure reads 0 LOL. I have tested my dummy swithc and its good and also the fact the car has 3k miles on it would suggest that hot idle is not really zero psi. Its pretty much useless and fills a gauge pod at the moment. I will replace it this summer when i gut the interior.

I have the boost gauge as well and i THINK its fairly accurate though i cant be positive.

Ill post up when i switch to a mechanical gauge to show how wrong this one was. Also ill be able to directly compare my omni 4bar signal on link(when i go SD) to the boost gauge to see where it ranks on accuracy. I wouldnt be surprised if the boost gauge is accurate. Its a simple device, couldnt be too far off unless the needle sits high or low with the car off. Mine sits right at zero where it should be.

FWIW, i wouldnt trust any electric gauge. Mechanical is the way to go. After my experience w glowshift i would never use an electronic gauge of any brand.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back