The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Bad CLutch? Need help Determining if it needs replaced or upgraded??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twizted99GSX

Proven Member
Oct 12, 2014
Champaign, Illinois
Hello Dsm'ers..

I am here today because I THOUGHT I had a SHOP put in my Clutch about 2 yrs ago... I was told to do a breakin process. I did that and I waited like a good boy to get into it and start racing.. I bought a ACT Streetlite Xact flywheel & CenterForce Dual Friction Clutch... before I stored my car for the season i started noticing at HIGH RPM my clutch would start to slip and i didn't understand why... So when i took the engine out i looked at the Clutch and this is what i found.. im not sure if there is damage or what is exactly Wrong... i do know that i have seen different setups on eclipses so i am wondering is this a good setup or did i not get the proper applications... i seen Fidenza Flywheels and ACT 2600 or 2700 Clutch.. So i was wondering is this a good set up and is it still good to use or should i swap out for new clutch ,flywheel or both,... One thing though i was looking at the Clutch plate and it said GREDDY or EXEDY (3rd pic Down) on it and few other things didn't seem to match so i was wondering if that was part of CenterForce Clutch or did it get swapped for another part and thrown in not to be found till its taken apart.. Just hit me weird that Greddy would be Stamped on a CenterForce Clutch.. Ill try to post the pic i took of it... Let me know what you guys think..

Is my Flywheel still good i seen marks but idk if that means much.. And i know its been in there for few years but it wasn't driving that hard a few races and stuff on weekends but the ORANGE coating on the outside is all beat up and Gouged.. Is that from normal wear an tear or improper break in or anything?

I thought that maybe a part was switched or idk just had issues with the clutch even after proper break in time and miles..

This is the Clutch i bought the outside looks like it but way beat up and the Clutch plate not so much..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...99/make/mitsubishi/model/eclipse/submodel/gsx

Not a trans Tech.... HELP... hehe

Thank you and BE BLESSED

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Hello Dsm'ers..

I am here today because I THOUGHT I had a SHOP put in my Clutch about 2 yrs ago... I was told to do a breakin process. I did that and I waited like a good boy to get into it and start racing.. I bought a ACT Streetlite Xact flywheel & CenterForce Dual Friction Clutch... before I stored my car for the season i started noticing at HIGH RPM my clutch would start to slip and i didn't understand why... So when i took the engine out i looked at the Clutch and this is what i found.. im not sure if there is damage or what is exactly Wrong... i do know that i have seen different setups on eclipses so i am wondering is this a good setup or did i not get the proper applications... i seen Fidenza Flywheels and ACT 2600 or 2700 Clutch.. So i was wondering is this a good set up and is it still good to use or should i swap out for new clutch ,flywheel or both,... One thing though i was looking at the Clutch plate and it said GREDDY on it and few other things didn't seem to match so i was wondering if that was part of CenterForce Clutch or did it get swapped for another part and thrown in not to be found till its taken apart.. Just hit me weird that Greddy would be Stamped on a CenterForce Clutch.. Ill try to post the pic i took of it... Let me know what you guys think..

Is my Flywheel still good i seen marks but idk if that means much.. And i know its been in there for few years but it wasn't driving that hard a few races and stuff on weekends but the ORANGE coating on the outside is all beat up and Gouged.. Is that from normal wear an tear or improper break in or anything?

I thought that maybe a part was switched or idk just had issues with the clutch even after proper break in time and miles..

This is the Clutch i bought the outside looks like it but way beat up and the Clutch plate not so much..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...99/make/mitsubishi/model/eclipse/submodel/gsx

Not a trans Tech.... HELP... hehe

Thank you and BE BLESSED

It looks like it's gotten hot, but the clutch you've chosen should be completely adequate for the car, unless you're pushing a lot of horsepower. How much horsepower and torque?

In my experience, lightweight flywheels aren't perfect for street use.... While it can be done, you do sacrifice a bit of driveability when you use one of those. In order to get the car moving, you have to rev a little higher, which puts a little more strain and more heat on the system, as evidenced by the hot spots on your flywheel, and the wear on the clutch, thus the slipping. You said you had it replaced 2 years ago, right? How many miles would you say you have on it since then? Also, how often do you launch and/or race?

When you installed the clutch, were you sure to do the clutch setup properly? Are you sure you have some slack on it when it's engaged?

The marks are from slipping causing heat buildup. They could be from either riding the clutch too much or slipping in any gear. Two years is enough for a clutch to go out depending on your driving habits. If you ride a clutch too much, it also crystallizes like a brake pad and that's apparent on one of the surfaces of that clutch. Trying to smooth gear changes is good for driving comfort and minimizing shock loading into the drivetrain, but sucks for the clutch.

I had a bad experience with my Centerforce clutch. Regardless of what I did, the pressure plate finger height kept me from being able to get the proper clutch throw/adustment. When the clutch is installed, where's the position of the clutch fork arm in the window?

I ran a centerforce a long time ago and for low power levels it was fine. But it's life ended due to excessive slipping on the dyno at only 305 awhp. If you are actually going to make the power you say then it isn't enough clutch for you. The flywheel you have may be able to be re-surfaced, you need a competent machine shop to do this and you need to verify correct step height after the re-surfacing. In general the aftermarket steel flywheels are great, I am personally not a fan of the aluminum flywheels as they don't deal with heat as well as a steel one.

As for a new clutch I would say that the Southbend clutches are worth looking at. I have never run one but everyone I have talked to seems to love them.

Personally I'm running an ACT-2600 with a spring 6-puck and it's working great for me but the Southbend clutches are supposed to offer just as much or more holding capacity with a lighter pedal feel.

I had it installed by a shop here in town so I'm not sure.. all I know is I gave them the clutch, flywheel, and new Fork.. and now I'm seeing whats installed and how.. When i got the car i DID notice Quite a different Clutch Height. It was Quite Lower than before and it seemed to have lowered the height of the CLUTCH FLOOR.. Usually it had a couple of inches when fully Depressed to FLOOR now it had like an inch.. I told them about it and asked if they could adjust it but they said that's how the Clutch was and they couldn't lift it higher.. I was told to just drive it normal for about 1000 miles not getting to INTO it and accelerating normally and then after I could start to do harder driving up till 1500 miles then it would be broke in and I could Launch and have no issues.. But This is when I first got started into learning these cars so I didn't know much.. So I learned n applied knowledge when I could.. Now is the time where I'm learning more about the clutch and trans issues and hopefully fix them.. So basically go with steel Flywheel and maybe an ACT 2600 6-Puck or South Bend..

Whats a proper Clutch Setup?

How do you adjust Clutch Height?

Please Elaborate on the are you sure you have some slack on it when engaged?

It seemed i had to push the clutch all the way to floor to get it to disengage to shift. but again i was told the was NORMAL. That in time the height would adjust once the Clutch Fluid built up.. Never did.. and before i parked it to pull everything i was racing and when in 3rd hit around 5-6k rpm and it started to slip i couldnt get close to redline... Even on highway if i would kick it to pass n sometimes it would slip if i got in it hard which is why i was concerned

Adjusting the height

MOTHERFATHER!!! Where was this when I got my Clutch URGH LOL its ok I know now.. n will Learn from my Mistakes.... EEEshh it was so easy to adjust the height.. And they told me they couldn't do that.. GRRR... Tis ok.. WOOOO SAAHHHHH... Thank you for the HOOK UP... I will adjust with the new Clutch Setup and make sure its properly done..

GREAT VIDEO TY Jackstransmissions

YOU GUYS ROCK!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back