The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

axle play inquiry

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanZero

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
I've been having an annoying rattling sound on my Tsi fwd. I've checked all suspension components and everything is fine. My axles spun freely, no clicking or damage to the boots, but I did notice about a 1/4" of in and out play where they connect to the tranny. This car is automatic, and it had a hard shifting problem when I got it which turned out to be a misadjusted tps. On my Tsi awd there is a slight amount of play, maybe 1/8", but no noises. I'm at the end of my rope here trying to figure out this rattling when I go over a bump when the wheels turned.

It could be a worn C-clip that sits on the end of the axle splines. Years ago I had a 95 gst where the passenger side axle would pop out by that much or more and drain all my gear oil. Replaced the clip and never had issues again.

It's definitely possible these are the original axles, as the original owner kept meticulous maintenance records. I think from all the hard shifting the axles received excessive wear, either the c clips or the splines themselves. There's no loss of fluid. I know axles are cheap, but its not in the budget right now. I really don't see this as a big problem besides the noise. If I'm mistaken, someone please correct me before I kill myself doing 90 on the highway.
And spyder drifter, do you happen to know where I can get the proper c clips?

Last edited:
axles for your car at www.rockauto.com are like 42 bucks, just replace the whole thing since you'll have to take the old one out anyway to do the c-clips. plus you'll have new castle nuts and maybe the big washer behind it too. always good to have new hardware.

I agree, and I know how cheap they are, but I just lost my day job and have to pay rent before I worry about axles that may not need replacing. Any time I had a bad axle it was because of a CV joint, or I could at least hear/ feel binding when I spun the wheels. I just wanna know if I'm safe for now.

To be honest, when I had my c-clip issue, I couldn't find anywhere selling just the clip alone. I had to pull one from the salvage yard which I pocket'd. I think the only way to get a new one is by getting a new axle. I hope I'm wrong on that, but my experience didn't suggest it.

As for you being safe, you should be so long as you don't push your car hard. Drive like someone's grandmother and stick to the speed limit. I know it can be hard, been there myself, but to prolong the issue from failing, it's best to do it.

When does the sound occur? My daughter used to have a 97 GST Spyder and it rattled over small vertical inputs. It turned out to be knocking from the ball joint in the compression arm on one side.

No it's not the ball joints. I actually separated all the joints and they're good. I'm 90% sure it's the axles. It's almost similar to inner tie rods rattling loose, but I replaced those. I also checked all bushings, sway bar links, etc. The only thing I could find was the axle play. Like I said, there's no leakage, binding, etc, just the rattling, but it's noticeable when turning over bumps on both sides. I really think they're just worn a little loose from 4+ years of hard shifting, but I don't think they're just gonna fail on me (I hope). Next time I'm at the junkyard I'll be sure to bring my circlip pliers. C clips from a 420a should work, right?

After doing some research, I found the part number for the c clip, so I'm gonna order it through the dealer. As someone pointed out on another thread, if the only thing wrong with the axle is a worn c clip it would be stupid to replace them with an inferior part. Of course, I won't know until I pull it out. I'm thinking I don't even have to remove the axle from the hub, if I disconnect the control arms, tie rod and fork, it should pop right out.

Glad to hear you got a part number (which you should definitely share with us ;) ). Yeah if you disconnect the suspension it should pop right out with a pry bar. But you don't need to disconnect the tie rod. Pull the axle nut off, and then the strut fork where it connects to the lower control arm. Then remove the bolt from where that control arm bolts to the frame. That's all you need to disconnect.

when you go over bumps try to lightly step on the brakes to see if the noise goes away . sometimes the brake pads rattle if they are to loose . but it could also be your axles. if it is your axles you can put a little load on them while going over bumps to see if the noise goes away . the way you do that is to give it a little gas .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back