1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.
Please Support ExtremePSI

Autocross Build AWD spyder

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
  1. Tyeler18

Tyeler18 Proven Member

Joined Dec 16, 2008
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

14b   automatic
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Road Race Build

GT30   manual
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Autocross Build

16g   manual
    1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Road Race Build

GT35   manual
  2. Tyeler18

Tyeler18 Proven Member

Joined Dec 16, 2008
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

14b   automatic
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Road Race Build

GT30   manual

Autocross Build

16g   manual

Road Race Build

GT35   manual
  3. Tyeler18

Tyeler18 Proven Member

Joined Dec 16, 2008
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    I had a long drawn out opening post but my computer shut down before I could post it. I'll try updating this back to when we first bought the car almost 10 years ago. For now here's some progress pictures of what the car has turned into. IMG_0233.JPG IMG_2223.JPG
    The Red car is a buddies car that I AWD swapped and built as well.

The black car is/has always been an autox/daily. It's currently on a s16g, VRSF, 1120CC FIC's, thermal R&D turbo back exhaust, with an FP intake and speed density on an evo ecu. The suspension is D2 coilovers, poly bushings throughout, with 18x9 +29 Advan RG2's with a 235/40 tire, it also has evo brembos front/back and a 3g master cylinder. My girlfriend autox'ed this car for 4 years stock before we decided to AWD swap it. It hasn't been out for an event since the swap, but I'm hoping this year the car will be in a place that I feel comfortable/confident in it's race ability. We've taken the car to west coast MOD 2 times now since the AWD swap. It still has all the creature comforts- cruise, AC, full stereo system, and a full interior. It's a very comfortable cruiser that we're hoping with some better coilovers, wider tires, and some chassis improvements will be a very competitive SM car in our local NASA/SCCA groups.

IMG_2234.JPG IMG_2525.JPG IMG_2526.JPG

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

14b   automatic
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Road Race Build

GT30   manual

Autocross Build

16g   manual

Road Race Build

GT35   manual
    SAKJR and Doubleot like this.
  4. 181161

181161 Proven Member

Joined Mar 19, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    car looks good! I just started my AWD spyder build journal as well!

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST

Street Build

50trim   manual
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

20 @ 20 MPH
    Doubleot likes this.
  5. Doubleot

Doubleot Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2009
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    Very nice! Love me some AWD spyders ❤

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST

Street Build

279.1 whp   325.3 lb/ft
  6. Tyeler18

Tyeler18 Proven Member

Joined Dec 16, 2008
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Thanks guys!

I don't normally get a lot of time to work on this car, but I had some free time this weekend. We've never had problems with the car overheating even running the VRSF with AC and 115F temps, but I knew once the car is back on the track airflow would be an issue. I've been wanting to duct the front end for quite some time and finally got around to doing so this weekend. The front bumper is completely sealed off to the intercooler. No airflow can go around the inlet without going through the intercooler, but behind the VRSF was a large opening on the bottom, sides, and top. This took about 6 hours in total to build, but the intercooler is not completely sealed to the AC condenser which is completely sealed to the radiator forcing all the air coming in the bumper inlet to go through the radiator. The only spot that air can escape from is between the hood latch where I had to notch the top cooling plate. The area is small and its technically above/in front of the path of air coming out of the intercooler so it should have a minimal effect at worst. The plan is to put a vented hood on the car sooner than later and the hood latch assembly will be deleted for hood pins anyways, allowing me to seal it off completely. I don't have any completed pictures as it's pretty much impossible to see with the bumper plate bolted in, but the raw pictures are a good representation of how its fitted. IMG_0900.jpg IMG_0908.jpg IMG_0909.jpg IMG_0910.jpg

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

14b   automatic
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Road Race Build

GT30   manual

Autocross Build

16g   manual

Road Race Build