The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G awd feels like its locking up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanZero

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
I just picked up a 97 tsi awd recently and it drove great the first few days, then when decelerating on the highway two days ago I felt and heard a horrible metallic shudder, similar to brakes locking up. Its happened a few times since, just like one or two "jerks" at a time. I checked the fluid in the t case and diff and it's full. This is my first awd car so I'm in need of advice badly. I should mention the a/t was rebuilt 600 mi ago. Shouldn't the transfer case have been serviced as well, since the old tranny basically ripped apart on the PO?

Possibly differential...does it happen when you take sharp turns?if it does then diff is shot[DOUBLEPOST=1410451057][/DOUBLEPOST]And when you say diff fluid do you mean the rear...because there is 3 differentials in a awd car...2 of them are inside the trans(the center and front differential)...i think you are referring to your transfer case(this is not a diff) which is mounted right behind motor/trans and connects to your driveshaft, which could also be taking a crap.

I'm waiting to hear from the PO if the tires are the same age. The back two definitely have more wear.
So I thought the transfer case was full when I loosened the fill plug and fluid started coming out, so I closed it back up. Yesterday I discovered the drain plug was completely loose and had been leaking gear oil (I didn't realize because there's oil leaking down from my the same spot, I think from the vc-seperate prob). Anyway I filled the t case with almost 1/2 quart of gear oil! It was almost empty! Close call. No problems as of now but I haven't taken her on the highway yet. Now I'm noticing what seems to be a possible leak from the gasket between the tcase and tranny. Like I said its very hard to tell bc there's oil everywhere down there. As I mentioned the at tranny was rebuilt by cottman 600 mi ago and I assume (prob wrongly) that the awd components were serviced as well. Unfortunately the PO has limited mechanical knowledge; he always took it to the mits dealer for service, or his dad who is now deceased.[DOUBLEPOST=1410532318][/DOUBLEPOST]Just called cottman and they just unbolt and reattach the new tranny; don't touch anything else "unless needed" go figure...

Last edited:
On an awd the tires need to be fairly close to all the same size or it will tear up your diffs. Just a quick check if the tire s are all the same brand and size is to measure tread depth. Need to be within a couple 1/32" of each other just doing a quick check. The best way is to measure the circumference. Just read up on it and figure out how far off your tires are and if they need replaced. They may be overworking your diff and causing it to overheat and possibly be puking oil out. :barf:

Some evo guys have complained of putting on their spare tire and within a minute or two of driving the awd system service light comes on.

Also the yoke on the drive shaft leaks causing t case to run dry. It was such a problem all 4 wheels to lock up on the highway and even cause fatal injuries. So be real careful with your t case watch for a leak, check the fluid too for metallic flakes. I had mine run a little too low and started to hear the bearings whine on decel.

OK so I'm pretty sure the input shaft seal on the tcase is the culprit. The PO had taken her back to cottman twice because the output shaft seal on the tranny and the input shaft seal on the tcase were leaking, but it was supposedly fixed. It's definitely gear oil leaking out, and it's gotten worse the last few days. I put 1/2 qt in as mentioned before, and when I went to check the level and top it off, I was able to add another 1/4 qt! I had to order a replacement seal and I'm not pulling the tcase until I have it. I'm worried, though for two reasons. First, on a similar thread this issue was never resolved (still leaking gear oil after seal replacement) and second, I heard a clacking sound when turning today. I am no longer driving her until I get the seal, but is it possible the bearings or something are shot? Or is this just because of the seal?

If it is leaking and was at one time locking up or making noise than it is done. A new seal will do you no good at all. You are going to end locking it up going down the highway.

Exactly, also the drive shaft yolk itself leaks. There is a write up about it, people have used jb weld, but there was a recall and updated yolk. It comes as some sort of kit, where you get a few parts(forgot exactly what) and its like $40 from the dealer. Either way that t case needs to be inspected/rebuilt, if you don't have a local guy send it to Jack's or another vendor!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back