The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

avid motor mount install on a 2g auto with PICS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

007jimmy

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2012
Levittown, Pennsylvania
Well today was the big install day for my new motor mounts and a couple other maintance items. Everything went as planned for the most part. My stock motor mounts had about 130k on them and they definitly showed every mile. They were alot worse then I though and in all honesty this was one of the best upgrades since I've owned my car. When I p icked up my new mounts I was talking to the guys at extreme psi and they recomended the Avid racing 75A mounts based on my future drivetrain setup. Anyways less talk and more install pics... First I jacked the front up and put it on jack stands about 2ft up so I could get under the car easily.

Nothing to fancy here just your basic 4g63 with a few shiny things..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I started off with the easiest mount first. I used a jack with a wood block on it under the oil pan to take the pressure off the center bolt. You dont need to go crazy and try to lift the motor out of the car. Just slight pressure untill you see the motor lift up a quarter inch.

here you can see the beauty of these mounts.

It took me all of 10 minutes to take out the old mount and install the first mount.

Next I moved to the lower mount. Went just as planned. Easy out, easy in.. but you can see here why i NEEDED new mounts but I didnt think they were this bad.

Everything was going great and I was started to wonder what all the fuss was about.... then I moved onto the upper transmission mount. i had to take out the battery and move my wiring harness to get to this ugly thing.

All the bolts out and she still wouldnt budge then I remembered about someone having to cut the "cone" off one of the studs to get the old mount out. A dremel with a small cutoff wheel worked GREAT in such a tight area.

Side by side of the new and old..

The old mount wasnt to beat.

I still need to get an installed picture of that mount but in order to get the new mount in I ended up having to cut off all 3 cones off the trans mount bracket. A friend of mine has pictures on his phone as well so I need to get them from him.

Last mount to go and after everything I went through on the trans mount I had to take a break from them so I figured while I had my battery and all out I would do my fuel filter since I had it already. I dont know why everyone has issues with them stripping out the bottom nut. Mine had 130k on it but with it still connected to the bracket on the firewall i used 3/4 inch wrench on the filter and a 15MM line wrench on the flare nut and it came loose no issue. On the top bango bolt i did the same thing. 3/4 wrench on the filter with it still on the firewall and a 19MM socket and rachet.

While i had the fuel filter out it made getting the last mount out alot easier so heres a side by side of the new and old.. Installed pics are on my buddies phone though..

Here you can see the new fuel filter. Oh yeah while we where at it I decided it was time to lower my battery mount. Pics of that in another thread once finish it. I forgot to grab my non-turbo battery hold down from home so we had to bend up my stock battery tiedown to work. Also what is that "thing" bolted to the firewall above my battery. I'd like to move it out of sight because my catch cans are gonna find a new home right there.

After the test drive all i can say is OH MY GOD... what a difference.. I have a 14B on my car right now with it running wastegate pressure and from a 25mph roll it put my in the back seat and almost broke the tires loose going in a straight line. My motor has never felt this strong and I've had 4 different size turbo's on my car. precision 50trim, 16g, 14b and i bought it bone stock with the T25. The vibration at a red light will take some getting used to but its not teeth rattling so its bearable.. By far the best upgrade yet. I cant wait to do my timing belt and get my 850 or bigger injectors so i can run my 20G turbo or possibly my 50 trim again..

Last edited:
You posted two of the same picture on the tranny mount side.

Thanks for pointing that out, that will get fixed. It was a long day but at least everything went fine as far as the install went. They were the 75a mounts and I would reccomend getting this mod done for 2g autos. Shifts better, pulls harder and best of all no more god damn clunking into gear....

here are the pics I missed..

trans mount and rear mount installed. Taking the fuel filter off made things that much easier because those bolts were being stubburn. And yes i cleaned up all that rust and sprayed it with rusto flat black

front lower mount installed. This one was the easiest to replace but needed to be replaced the most.

another pic of the battery drop. I need to get the correct hook and battery hold down on there still in this picture.

All the parts I replaced that day.

Good work, Makes me want to do them LOL.

That "Thing" above the battery is the horn for your factory alarm, If your's is anything like mine, It's long gone and replaced with a new up to date alarm.

Your bay looks very clean, I just recently dropped my battery as well, But had issues with the 420a bracket not being able to mount because of my battery :( If you need one I'm will to sell it, Send me a pm with an offer and We'll figure it out.

Keep up the good work! And also, How much were those motor mounts?

thank you sir. that "thing" will now get removed. I plan on putting in a nicer alarm so that just makes me one step closer. I already have the 420a bracket I just didnt have it with me since I did this at a friends house but thanks for the offer. i need to drill and tap the one side and get a new hook and ill be set.

The mounts ran me right about 300 and i reused all the original hardware except for the 3 supplied longer bolts for the rear mount. Got them from extreme psi (i only live 15mins from them). So after driving on these bad boys for a week now i am used to the extra rattling from the solid mounts. Its only bad from 1-2k rpm and after that it smooths out and shifts like butter. Kind of pricey but the torque i got after these was just insane! Any questions feel free to ask guys!

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering about these for some time :thumb:

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering about these for some time :thumb:

No problem. The off boost driving has improved and I have noticed a slight increase in gas mileage. It's hard to explain in words but there is no more slight hesitation when I press the gas. Highway driving is awesome.:sneaky:

Great job on the mounts!! definetly worth it. I got those a year ago for my auto DSM as well. Made a huge difference in response time :thumb:.

Thank you.^^^ I read your threads not that long ago and they helped alot!! Glad you seen this thread..

When you installed the rear motor mount did you have to install longer bolts?
Yes, the kit came with longer bolts. The oem bolts are way to short.

Thanks for all the pictures! I'm planning on doing mine soon and had no idea where to start, thanks to your pictures I have a good starting point.
No problem, its not as bad as I thought it would be. I mean on the install.

I'm about to order my set :hellyeah:

Good luck, definetly worth every penny!!!

do you have pics of these longer bolts? because mine came with none of the sort that I could remember...

No I do not. I read a while back that the older kits did not come with longer rear mount bolts. The problem has since been addressed and bolts are now supplied, but I am sure there are some kits that havent sold yet that dont have the bolts. The new bolts were an inch or two longer because the flange for the mount is super thick. Nothing fancy. This is for the rear mount only. The rest of the mounts used OEM hardware.

I got a picture just give me minute to put it up

Holy crap I didn't know they made them for the auto 2g! There's my next mod. I know they made a huge difference in response time in my old car, however since two of the mounts were delrin ( extremely stiff ), it made the drivetrain shake at WOT shifts.

I got a picture just give me minute to put it up

Ah those! Thought you guys were talking about something else, i received only two and used one on the front mount as my old one looked old and banged up. Did all but the rear so far, anyway guess I'm off to home depot to match the bolt.

Thanks again

Anyone have a back up copy of the pictures that are no longer on the thread? Would love to see this...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back