The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Average turbo life span?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris a turbo will last exactly 153,235 8/10 miles then it will blow up in a firey display :rolleyes:. Honestly it all kind of depends on how the QC was at the plant that day, what type of boost you are running, what type of oil you use etc. I think the better question is how many miles can you go trying to resist buying a new turbo :D

I agree, it would be really, really hard to say one way or the other. It depends on how well the car has been taken care of, how much it was raced/abused...etc etc. Too hard of a question... Sorry!!! :(

I have known people where the turbo lasts a long time...others it goes within a few months.

Chris i think 120-150 will just about do it. my stock 14b went at around 125K. at that point you start to get cracks in the manifold, and turbine housing. oil changes will not prevent that type of failure

With water cooled center sections, synthetic oil and some discipline I have found a turbo can last a long time.

I have used Mobil 1 since the start, changed at between 3000-6000 miles, with a new filter each time. I never run the engine on boost while it is still being warmed up, nor do I allow any boost the last minute to two minutes of a trip.

Although I am careful about watching how I drive and allowing cooling times, I don't have a turbo timer - just common sense.

So far its worked - 325,000 miles and still boosting!

Kyle

If a turbo is properly taken care of it will last longer than the car.
100-150k is where we recieve many rebuilds. This is 90% of the
time because of carbonization. If you use a turbo timer and keep
clean cool oil in the turbo it can last a lifetime. Cracking of the turbine
housing is normal with the Mitsu's. Seldom are they bad enough to cause leaks, but there is little you can do to prevent it. I agree with
RDRKT when he says the real question is how long can you resist.

Pete

My T25 was still running at 143K when I pulled it. No idea how long it would have lasted.

jimminy cricket kyle! 325k, that is friggen awesome... my car has 135k and the turbo pulls like a bat outta hell... but i do beleive whoever had the car before me either took good car or rebuilt the motor/turbo

For the comps!

So far so good, and I am a great believer in proper care and maintainence!

Later

Kyle

My 14b lasted 160k, with the last 20k at 17psi before literally
exploding the turbine wheel. Still turned freely and had no play
in any axis, but was sans a turbine wheel. Took out a brand new
O2 sensor, too...

Mike C.

There is no, read NONE , rule of lifespan on a turbo. No 60K and it needs to be changed, no cracking at exactly 125K (most crack long before then internally, but it causes no harm), etc, etc. Proper maintenance and care of the turbo will make it's longevity increase tenfold. When it starts leaking oil from the seals or has excessive shaft play (hehe, he said shaft play), or you need to upgrade, then replace it.

On a sidenote: HEY ABI!!!

My 14b shat the bed at 98,200 miles. But it saw a pretty hard life just in the year I had it (I didn't treat it badly, just had poopy luck. Two oil filters backed off, new engine) and the car overall looks like it's had a none-too-easy life.

I just got my 16g and am treating it like a fragile fragile glass ornament (it's sooo hard not to get on it though, hehee)

-Jesse

Originally posted by gstspyder1998

Wow that seems too low. I already have over 60k on my t-25 and my turbo still pulls very strong.

I have 107,xxx on my T-25 and its still pulling strong. I don't have a turbo timer either. I'm not really worried about it because if it goes out I'll just upgrade but I haven't had any problem yet.

I've got 155,000 on my T-25. No leaks, no visible cracks, no cracks in the manifold. The secret? Mobil-1 EVERY 3K. No boost until it warms up. No boost for the last two minutes of driving, 30 second cool down on easy runs, 1 minute on hard ones. My exhaust crapped out, but the turbo is still VERY strong.
Later,
Matt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back