1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Autometer Water Temp Gauge Not Working

Posted by 95CarbonEclipse, Jul 2, 2007

Please Support Boostin Performance
  1. 95CarbonEclipse

95CarbonEclipse Proven Member

Joined Sep 16, 2005
    Yakima, Washington
    So, recently I've installed an Autometer Water temp gauge. The biggest reason I wanted this gauge is because my stock water temp. gauge doesn't work properly. Occasionly it will rise a bit, but for the most part it just sits at the coolest point.

Now, I've done the install like this:

Removed the stock sending unit from the OEM T-state housing and replaced it with the provided Autometer sending unit (making sure to screw it in as far as it will allow). I then (hoping the OEM sending unit was the problem) crimped both the OEM gauge wire and the Autometer sending unit wire together and connected them both to the new sending unit. Ran the Autometer sending unit wire back to the Autometer gauge. Connected both ground and power wires (for power i spliced into the power wire for my A/F gauge with is spliced into the power wire off of the ECU).

The problem is that my aftermarket gauge is acting just like my OEM one was. If I'm lucky, after driving around for a 1/2 hour in the 90* heat, it'll read 100* but usueally it doesn't do anything. Should I disconnect the OEM gauge wire? Could the sending unit be shot? Maybe the actual T-stat is bad and stuck open (although it should still read more then 100*)? Could the ECU power wire screw with the gauge (I ask this because when i shut the car off, the Autometer water temp. gauge pegs out at 250 until you hear the ECU click off)?

Any ideas?

My DSM:

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. EagleTalonTim

EagleTalonTim Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2007
    Brighton, Tennessee
    you should rewire the gauge to a better source of power. Have you checked the wires to ensure that none of them are grounding out on anything? That could cause the inconsistent reading.

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

16.191 @ 86.250 MPH
  3. 95CarbonEclipse

Joined Sep 16, 2005
    Yakima, Washington
    Explain better?

Also, I'm positive that the wires aren't grounding out anywhere, it's a fresh install.

My DSM:
  4. dave99gst

dave99gst DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 8, 2002
    plymouth, Michigan
    i would try removing the factory wire from the sensing unit- it may not like having the stock wiring and the new gauge wiring on the same terminal.

5. tom04841

tom04841 Proven Member

Joined Jul 21, 2004
    Rockland, Maine
    Definitely disconnect the factory wiring. It is throwing off your readings.

6. Talesin

Talesin Proven Member

Joined Jan 19, 2005
    Burbank, California
    Disconnect the stock gauge, make sure the aftermarket is hooked up to the right one (single spade connector), replace the thermistor (like $12, maybe).

If you still have a low read (or even if you don't) it sounds like your thermostat may have failed open. Replace it with a new stock unit.

You may want to run a logger on it, and see if the ECU temp sensor reads the same as your gauge... if so, ignore the first part of this post, and move straight to repalcing the t-stat. They're about ten bucks, and NOT hard to change out (if a little messy, with the coolant).

7. 95CarbonEclipse

Joined Sep 16, 2005
    Yakima, Washington
    Yea... I figured that if anything else I would definitely change the T-stat. I think I'll try that first and then if it's still not working right, then I'll disconnect the OEM gauge.

Thanks for everyone's opinion, I'll post back after replacing the T-stat and clipping the OEM wire.

My DSM:
  8. Talesin

Talesin Proven Member

Joined Jan 19, 2005
    Burbank, California
    I'd recommend replacing that thermosensor at the same time... have to drain the coolant anyway to replace the thermostat, and it's a cheap maintenence-type thing to do.

9. 95CarbonEclipse

Joined Sep 16, 2005
    Yakima, Washington
    I'm not familiar... I can pretty much guess what the thermosensor does, but where is it located?

My DSM:
  10. 95CarbonEclipse

Joined Sep 16, 2005
    Yakima, Washington
    To all, the correct answer was....

OEM wire was screwing with the Autometer gauge. BUT, before doing that I got myself a new T-stat because... well, because whoever owned the car before me did the most half-assed install of a motor and it's supporting parts I've ever seen. After reading this thread and everyones response to it, and then taking into consideration that my 2g had a combination of Home Depot reclaim plumbing, PVC pipe, and JB weld to make up the intercooler piping which "plumbed" (literally) a 1g intercooler; I thought, "I'll bet you $100 that there isn't even a T-stat in there at all."

And guess what... there wasn't!

But, that didn't fix the problem. Not until I clipped the OEM wire from the sending unit did it the Autometer gauge start working. I'd like to thank everyone in helping me diagnose this problem.

...now, onto this malfunctioning Oil Pressure gauge.

My DSM:
  11. ROOKIE1

ROOKIE1 Proven Member

Joined Aug 25, 2003
    Walton, Kentucky
    Ahh another sensor I think . Or that wire that connects to it that gets coated with oil .