The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Automatic Won't Shift Until I Let off Gas Pedal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TermTrky

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 23, 2007
PNW, Washington
It's good to be back my friends. Seems like a lot of us come back frequently :) I've had a '93 GS, '91 GSX, '95 RS, '96 RS, '92 GST, and now I am on a '91 GST! Some were crappy cars, some I should have NEVER let go (GSX 90K), and some I'd rather forget ('92 GST, two cans short of a six pack ghetto-rebuild by P/O)

Anyway. Auto transmission slips in overdrive and you've got to shift the car manually to engage gears.

Toasted end clutch is the consensus ? Anybody from the PNW order an imported transmission before? Assuming it's rare to find a used automatic turbo tranny in good shape.

Thanks DSM'ers

Update: Bought the car. You don't need to shift manually. Car slams into gear and shakes like a wild banshee when stopped. Doesn't do that in neutral/park. Has poly inserts all the way around, but shouldn't be that bad. It also has hard downshifts and lazy upshifts (You have to let off gas a little bit, then it will shift up). Sometimes it starts in 2nd or 3rd gear, and then you've got to womp on it and it will do another hard down shift and go into boost.

Several boost leaks, possibly seal going in turbo or exhaust guides are shot. Hunts at idle when cold, and idles high (1200RPM) when warm. Got my work cut out for me.

I think transmission is shot.

Is it worth rebuilding an auto transmission for 300HP? Any recommendations? Yankin' drivetrain and going to town on the block as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back