1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Autobots Assemble! (Auto-knowledge)

Posted by Boomdeeze, Jun 23, 2018

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    A little background on when my issue started. I went to the drag strip two weekends ago and while launching the car, I felt a lot of vibrations until I snapped the rear driver side axle. When the axle snapped, the rpms shot up to 9k acting like a slipping clutch.

Now I bought some DSS level 2 axles and installed them. I took the car out and whenever I go WOT at a low speed, the car slips acting like a slipping clutch in a a manual. If I go WOT when starting at 60 mph or so, it will do a clean pull. I do have Kiggly 5 friction clutch pack installed but they have many drag events and street miles on them. The clutches have seen many 9 second and 10 second passes. Transmission fluid is full and has the kiggly mod. The car drives normal other than that slipping. This started the same pass that I broke my rear axle.

Now for my questions, does this sound like a worn clutch pack? Would this also cause a lot of vibrations while launching if it were slipping and catching? Could the clutches have slipped and caught again resulting in breaking the axle?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

10.793 @ 128.98 MPH

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Vendor

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Broken center diff

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
    Dstarperformance01 likes this.
  3. Dstarperformance01

Dstarperformance01 Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2016
    Mustang, Oklahoma
    That’s exactly what I was thinking.

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
  4. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    Damn, looks like the welds may have broke then. Looks like I will be pulling the transmission. I may as well install the kiggly 6 friction pack and IPT end clutch kit to freshen it up while it is out.

Any other suggestion while I have it out?

My DSM:

Street Build

10.793 @ 128.98 MPH
  5. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    Just wanted to update the thread. I pulled the center diff and it was still welded and in perfect shape. The end clutches looked great as well. I proceeded to pull the trans to inspect the clutches. The front clutches were is decent shape but the rear clutches (Forward clutches) looked to be toast. The spacers were burnt, the clutch disks were worn and there was clutch debris packed on the sides of the drum. The drum itself looked good with no cracks, I hear this is common.

I decided to swap in the Kiggly 6 friction front clutch disks and order some new forward clutch disks/plates! I will update when I get it all in and back installed!

@Dstarperformance01 Any idea what would cause the forward clutches to go out? Normal wear and tear for 9 and 10 second runs?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    My DSM:

Street Build

10.793 @ 128.98 MPH
    Dstarperformance01 and 007jimmy like this.
  6. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    Has anyone messed with the line pressure adjust and reducing pressure adjustment that Kiggly recommends?

To my understanding, he says to turn both counterclockwise to max each out if you are not using a TCU to control it. Anyone have experience doing this? @kiggly @Dstarperformance01 @bastarddsm

My DSM:

Street Build

10.793 @ 128.98 MPH
  7. Dstarperformance01

Dstarperformance01 Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2016
    Mustang, Oklahoma
    Sounds like the blue wire mod to me. Tcu Control(shift box) is best imo

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  8. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    My car was a manual so I never had a TCU which is why I installed the ratchet shifter.

My DSM:

Street Build

10.793 @ 128.98 MPH
    Dstarperformance01 likes this.