The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Auto Transmission won't shift into L

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer890

Proven Member
Apr 26, 2014
A, AB_Canada
Hello everyone, I have a couple questions. I'm looking at a used 1996 Automatic Mitsubishi Eclipse GST for a daily. I took the car for a spin, and everything checks out. Good brakes, tires, power, steering etc.....only problem I found when function testing everything was that the shifter would not shift into low gear "L". It felt like there was a pin or other physical barrier blocking me out. The car drove and shifted perfectly otherwise though as far as I could tell (This is the first auto DSM I've ever driven. FWIW I have a 97 manual GSX - this will be my 3rd DSM).

What I want to know is, is this a big problem that is a sign of a faulty transmission? Or is it a simple fix/non-issue? What are some things I should look out for on an auto DSM? He said he bought the car this way and never had an issue.

It's also a little beat up, it looks better in photos than in person but overall it's alright considering it's bone stock still. The cruise, AC and accessories all work properly. He's asking $4900 cad ($3880 usd), he's a young lad and his dad his helping him sell it. What do you guys think it's worth? Here is the link to the ad:https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1286902476&siteLocale=en_CA&requestSource=b

I'm going to go look at the car again right now this time from a cold start. Does anyone know why the shifter will not move into the L position?

When I put the trans in neutral, the shifter is in "N" where it should be. Park works, reverse works, drive works and 2nd gear works. Car shifts normally on the highway into top gear and the overdrive functions properly as well. It just won't shift into "L" for some reason, otherwise it seems quite healthy.

If I were buying the car, I would want to know why it wasn't shifting into "L", before putting my money down.

Was the transmission replaced, and the cables mis-adjusted? Or, is there a bolt in the shift linkage blocking it because they don't want you to try the trans in "Low"?

Trans repairs aren't cheap. Your car could cost more than you're planning.

Check the gear selector on the transmission and make sure the arm is not hitting something went you are trying to put it in L, could be a simple exterior fix. If it's not the cable or a blockage of the gear selector, I would be skeptical paying top dollar for a car that may have had a band aid fix to sell it.

Yeah it does grab every gear. I can count the gears and it uses all of them. Everything functions normally except for I just can't physically move the selector to L but I will look into that further.

FWIW it shifts nice and smooth when driving and going into reverse.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back