The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Auto trans shifting issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
Today I picked up a 99 OZ Edition with an auto trans. The transmission is my only concern with the car. When I'm cruising, but need to accelerate, the trans takes a moment to realize it's time to wake up, then I have to push the engine to 4k rpms or little higher just for any power to kick in and get transferred to the wheels. While the rpms are high, the trans almost sounds like it's over-working, and I've smelled a bit of something burning after turning off the car. I know these cars have a weak transmission with the non-turbo engine, but I just want to make sure I get it operating properly since this is going to be my daily car. I know the trans could use a good flushing, and maybe while doing that, replace the trans filter, but is there anything else I can check for? This is my first auto DSM so I'm not totally sure what all to cover. I've rebuilt auto trannys before, but don't want to go that far unless absolutely needed.

Obviously you had to have checked the trans fluid. What does it look and smell like? Is it topped off? I know it's basic questions but it's important to know

Yeah, basic questions are always good to know. It is topped off, and it's a bit brown, which is why I want to change it. Can't tell you what it smells like though, a year in Iraq messed up my sinuses so I can't smell much of anything anymore unless it's something burnt/burning.

Last edited:
One other thing I forgot to mention is that when the engine is at idle, there's a vibration caused by the transmission. It goes away if I put it in neutral, but returns when put back in drive. The vibration does go away, once I start driving again. Could this be a cause for the shifting issue? Could it possibly be the torque convertor failing somehow?

As far as the transmission if you don't have a check engine light coming on then most likely it's ok . these transmissions throw a check engine light if there is an internal problem or an electrical one .then as far as the vibration it sounds like something is rubbing against metal . look at your motor mounts and exhaust system for any rubbing marks .

The torque convertor is a good possibility, based on the fact that 1) it is over-reving while driving, and 2) the idle vibration stops when it is shifted to neutral (load is removed from the convertor).

Torque convertors are not easily rebuildable. We put a reman unit in our Spyder when we had the tranny rebuilt, just as a precaution.

Maybe the previous owner liked to power brake too much.

We had a daily 420 for a while and it was a smooth runner that was trouble free.

The torque convertor is a good possibility, based on the fact that 1) it is over-reving while driving, and 2) the idle vibration stops when it is shifted to neutral (load is removed from the convertor).

Torque convertors are not easily rebuildable. We put a reman unit in our Spyder when we had the tranny rebuilt, just as a precaution.

Maybe the previous owner liked to power brake too much.

We had a daily 420 for a while and it was a smooth runner that was trouble free.

Yeah, I know they are not rebuildable with the tools I got, and I'd rather just throw a new one in anyway for peace of mind. Thanks for the help.

I haven't noticed any 'brands' of torque convertors for the 420a. I do see that a web search brings up several sources. Since it is an N/A daily, oem specs should be fine. That would mean most any of them are an option.

Perhaps the only considerations are cost, warranty and ability to easily return.

I hadn't found much either, so I ordered one from the parts store for $118 and will have it tomorrow. Now gotta get used to wasting more money on atf. I miss having a manual trans.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back